Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I made a BIG mistake with a RP5120 RCA Digital Voice Recorder  (Read 12167 times)

gunnisongirl

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I made a BIG mistake with a RP5120 RCA Digital Voice Recorder
    « on: September 16, 2008, 07:13:54 PM »
    Hello,
    When I was transferring a VERY VERY important voice recording from the player to the RCA Digital Voice Manager Software I renamed it in Windows Explorer not the RCA software. I now cannot open it on my computer and it is gone from the digital recorder itself -- I did not erase it. Apparently the software is proprietary to RCA, so it is not a normal .voc extension. I cannot change it to a .wav file either  The file is on a Toshiba Satellite computer with Windows XP and I know where it is on the computer. I have tried different file extensions and different programs to open it. Unfortunately I did not read the fine print on the instructions, because it tells you not to do exactly what I did! It explains that I should have changed to file name once in was transferred to their software. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me -- this could be a real life saver!

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: I made a BIG mistake with a RP5120 RCA Digital Voice Recorder
    « Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 01:24:36 AM »
    When you try to open it, exactly what happens?
    What is the Error Message?

Also, what Operating System?

gunnisongirl

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 09:27:13 AM »
      When I click on the file the "opens with" box pops up and I select the RCA Digital Voice Manager program. That software opens up, but the file is no where to be seen. There is no error message. I use Windows XP home edition. Since this specific .voc extension is proprietary to RCA none of the utilities I've tried (voc2wav or winamp) have worked. I have been able to transfer the file back to the digital recorder and then back to the software. It shows up on the software, but will not open. It will not play on the recorder either. Thanks for your help.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 06:31:35 PM »
        gunnisongirl, I did some research on your behalf and found the following forum site that seems to deal extensively with your problem (apparently it  has created this dilemma for most users of the device you have). I read a great deal of what is offered (until my eyes glazed over). However as i got a fair way down solutions for .VOC conversions started to appear. I cannot advise as to their efficacy to your dilemma but they did point in that direction. You might want to have a look at it and report back if there is anything of value there (or not) goodluck,truenorth
        Oops had forgotten to include the link. :P Here it is:  http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/printthread.php?t=5342
        « Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 06:45:22 AM by truenorth »

gunnisongirl

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 09:02:29 AM »
          Dear truenorth,
          Very generous of you to take the time and do some research for me -- thank you. After four phone calls, lots of forum posts and much tequila (just kidding :P) I went back into the Digital Voice Manager software found the file and was able to convert it to an .exe file, where, thank God, it plays on "Digital Voice Player" which is part of the original RCA software. I still cannot get it any further than that. I really need to be able to email it or at least have it play on some software that the general public has -- windows media, realplayer, etc... Would you possibly know how to take an .exe file to .wav or some other audio format. Thanks!

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 11:14:40 AM »
            gunnisongirl,Following is a program i use very often for audio conversions.It has a free trial version which is the one i use.it does not seem to include a conversion from .exe (not normally an audio file extension anyway) to any other normal audio file format. But that doesn't mean it won't as is stated in their comments. However they seem to have a forum also and maybe someone on that forum can advise you. Personally i would just see this as a challenge and still continue to try and achieve a solution that gives you more flexibility with the manner in which you can do things with the audio created by your RCA device (which according to the otherwise comments seems to be a great audio device). http://www.nch.com.au/switch/
            On the subject of another converter that does specifically refer to .exe to .wav (or other optional audio formats) here is a link to a resource site that lists a great variety of file conversion software. On the page that will open if you scroll down to "FORTOP SWF Resources Extractor 1.2" (freeware) that seems to be something that will do what you want --and the price is right. let us know how you make out. I do have another thought of a different alternative if we cannot solve it this way. However i am not convinced that it will give you the high quality of sound that you should be able to have given the obvious quality of the RCA device you originate the sound file in. More on that later if it becomes necessary. goodluck,truenorth
            I keep forgetting to include the links. Here it is  http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Best/wav-to-exe_R2.html
            « Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 11:42:07 AM by truenorth »

gunnisongirl

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 03:41:43 PM »
              truenorth,
               I tried both of your suggestions - no luck. I'm very grateful you know your stuff and hate to take up any more of your time, but if you're really bored.......

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 04:40:59 PM »
                gunnisongirl,Bored is not a regular part of my vocabulary (somewhat like can't or impossible).I assume the "i tried both your suggestions-no luck" refers to that after going to the 2 sites i offered the programs mentioned did not solve the issue?As opposed to meaning i could not access your links? What happened when you tried to do a conversion using "Switch"? Also what happened when you tried to use the one that was supposed to be able to convert .exe to .wav (or whatever)?As you saw with the latter site it contained pages of conversion programs did you check further to see if there were others that claimed to be able to do an .exe to .wav? I stopped once i found the one i mentioned. Have you contacted the manufacturer of your RCA recorder to see if they can suggest something (or to tell you it cannot be done--if that is the case)?Is it intended that you can record things on the RCA recorder and only listen to them while they are stored on the recorder? If so that seems unacceptably restrictive. I shall await your responce to this before suggesting an alternative. An alternative which will allow an ultimate use of a stored audio in other than .exe or .voc. But i will tell you now it is an arcane way and negates the ownership and use of the RCA recorder.Also as i mentioned it probably won't have the sound quality of your original. What are the output availabilities from your RCA recorder for sound transmission. Obviously headsets and an internal speaker i assume? Anything else such as a "line out" plug? truenorth

gunnisongirl

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 05:45:49 PM »
                  Sorry, truenorth, I will be more concise from now on. Re: Switch- I chose the sound file converter -  it did not let me chose an .exe file (like you said, and I know, .exe is not normally an audio file). With the Fortop it allowed me to chose the file but then said the file was not a valid "SWF Flash file". No, I did not try any of the other applications on the download page- I will look further. RCA was the first phone call I made yesterday (and the second!) and they said I was out of luck.  I am suppose to be able to listen to them both on the recorder (which is not suppose to delete the file until I hit the "erase" button twice on the recorder), and also in RCA's specific software. My mistake was when I plugged in the USB cable from the recorder to my E drive, Windows Explorer popped up first (before the RCA software) to show me what files were on the E drive -- I quickly renamed the file from something like "A0000004.VOC" to "DrSmith9162008". The RCA instructions clearly state not to do what I did - I am at fault, but could you please explain why even after I reinstated the .voc extension it did not recognize it? I know about file extensions and what they do, but did not think of them at the time because this (potentially serious) situation which I need the recording for, was utmost in my mind and I was not thinking clearly. I do not need the recorder for anything other than this file. The output ability is a headset and an internal speaker.

RE: my "bored" comment was just to try and interject some humor - hee ::)

Thanks again.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 07:52:14 AM »
                    gunnisongirl, I too took your "bored" comment in the same vein.As much as it pains me to say so "can't" and " Impossible " are also experiences that i have had to acknowledge. It is just that i believe one should not rush into accepting them as immediate results (as many do).OK enough rambling on to solutions. I am 1st going to define the problem as i see it then give you a way to resolve it.
                    1.you have an audio file that is now on your computer.
                    2.It was originated by a recording made on your RCA recorder.
                    3.because you inadvertently did a mechanical function on the RCA recorder it no longer exists on the recorder.
                    4.Whereas initially you could not access the file on your computer you now can.
                    5.you can now play and hear the audio from the computer speakers or presumably a headset.
                    6.because of the uniqueness of this particular audio content you need to retain it in a permanent  or temporary transportable medium for either archival or as a presentation at some other physical location.
                    So if that is it what you need to do is correct. Then you have 2 options in my opinion. Both involve recording the audio transmission again. The source this time will be from your computer.You can do this by simply playing the audio and capturing it (through the air) by any device capable of doing that (even your RCA if that is your choice). The other method is to (using your headset out plug either on the tower or the speaker --whereever it is available) and use a line in plug on a voice recorder. This may take some trial and error as volume adjustments will have to be made at both ends.Be extremely carefull to have your volume level on the headset set very low (at least on the 1st attempt) as distortion will be a problem.If you do a through the air recording have the recorder fairly close to the speakers (about 1-2 feet away) and the volume not too high and do it in an environment of desireably no ambient background noise. Once you have the "new" recording made there are tons of programs to allow you to then save it on your computer and convert it to any of the multitude of audio files that exist.I personally use "Spin Doctor" which is a component of Roxio Easy Cd Creator. It allows input from any type of sound creating device.But I'm sure Nero (if that is what you have) also has a similar option. If you successfully get to the stage of having it as a new saved audio on an external recorder and need more help at that stage,I'll be happy to assist. let us know how this goes.goodluck,truenorth

gunnisongirl

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 08:55:44 AM »
                      truenorth- you are the MAN!!! As I was reading your solutions this morning I was hit with the "DUH" stick -- of course I could play the audio file on my computer and record it back on to the recorder "through the air". I'm very glad one of us is in the position to think clearly. It worked, with a sound quality good enough for what I will need it for. From the recorder I sent it back to the RCA software and turned it into a .wav file which now plays on Windows Media Player. I will never be able to thank you enough for being that calm voice of reason and knowledge that  helped me get though a very trying time in my life.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 11:17:44 AM »
                        gunnisongirl, Ain't life grand when things work out? Glad to have been of help.truenorth

drys21

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 03:41:35 PM »
                        i own an rca rp5120. i don't know if anyone said this already but you can convert .voc to .wav by going to the rca software, and right-clicking the file you want to convert and choosing the option to convert the file to .wav

it works!

patio

• Genius
                        • Maud' Dib
                          • Yes
                        • Experience: Beginner
                        « Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 06:19:51 PM »
                        Nevermind......
                        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "