Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: printing google maps, help!  (Read 9127 times)

kasattack

Topic Starter

Rookie

printing google maps, help!
    « on: September 17, 2008, 05:43:48 PM »
    ok, so after reading advice from another thread, a memeber sugested i start a new thread for some help, so here goes.
    when i go to print a map from google maps, multi map, etc, the image on the screen will not fill an a4 page, it prints the image as a small rectangle in the centre of the page.  after reading advice from another thread i downloaded printpunk, this made no difference.  when i had my older pc running xp home, this never happened.  i now have vista ultimate, ie 7, i have tried from google & yahoo.  the only thing different is i can think of is the disc that came with my printer did not load the software, i had to go to lexmark web site & download software from them.  i have no trouble with any other web page, if i print emails, or wiki pages, or pictures of buildings the image on screen is what i get on the printed page.  please note, i have done all the messing about with print preview i can think of, landscape, portrait, 50% or 200% or custom ( what ever that means ) fit to page etc, all makes no difference.
    so any ideas?? ???

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: printing google maps, help!
    « Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 07:46:37 PM »
    On Google Maps, when you go to print, click "Print" located above the upper right hand part of the map.
    See how well that prints.

kasattack

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 03:56:18 AM »
      On Google Maps, when you go to print, click "Print" located above the upper right hand part of the map.
      See how well that prints.
      Nah, makes no difference, once i click print, the print window opens, the image is displayed as a small rectangle, if i continue, all i get on my printed page is a 3" wide 2" high map.  It will not print the map complete or fill the a4 page.

ps, i have downloaded firefox, but still the same :'(
      « Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 05:17:03 AM by kasattack »

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 12:40:45 PM »
      Download Google Earth, which is the same as Google Maps.

When you have browsed to the location you want, click "Save As" in the file menu. Type the name, save it as JPG, and click OK.

Now you should be able to print A4.

The reason Google Maps didn't print A4 is because the actuall window you view it in is about the size you mentioned, 3 x 2.

pcwizard

Hopeful

• A computer is for life, not just gaming!!
        « Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 12:48:14 PM »
        Another quick option is to 'Print Screen', save this to a file or document and print that out.
        A computer is for life....not just gaming!!

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 12:58:34 PM »
        Another quick option is to 'Print Screen', save this to a file or document and print that out.

Sorry, but I honestly can't believe I didn't think of that.... ;D

kasattack

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 08:20:29 AM »
          The reason Google Maps didn't print A4 is because the actuall window you view it in is about the size you mentioned, 3 x 2.
          But then why when i use the computers at work ( running xp pro ) do the maps print correctly?  Also on my older model i never had this problem. ???

I didn't know that key still worked, i thought it would only print text to notepad.  I last used it over 10 yrs ago using win' 95.

Thanks for the help.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 10:01:55 AM »
          I didn't know that key still worked, i thought it would only print text to notepad.  I last used it over 10 yrs ago using win' 95.

PRTSC prints everything on the screen, full program window/desktop, start menu/bar, everything.

More info here: http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/p/printkey.htm