Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Somehow running 2 .NET's in Vista services!  (Read 1952 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

janlafata

    Topic Starter


    Rookie

    Somehow running 2 .NET's in Vista services!
    « on: September 23, 2008, 06:08:55 PM »
    Hello

    I run Vista Basic x64. I ran into a problem the other day where I could not open some of the tools in Administrative Tools, like Task Scheduler, Event Viewer, Computer Management, the Windows Firewall etc. I was able to open services though.

    Also, every time I tried to open one of these Tools, there was a brief pause, then a little Window would pop up saying, something to the effect of "Snap in console is now installing"

    It did this for all of the tools I mentioned, and it did it every time. It also never  really fixed the problem. I still can't figure out what could have caused all of this and I about pulled my hair out searching on Google, trying to find an answer.

    Finally I ran into an article that said something about updating the .NET framework to fix the problem. It said that maybe it's files might have gotten corrupted or something. So I figured "sounds good to me. I'll try it". And it worked!

    After I installed .NET 3.5, I was now able to access all of those Administrative Tools. However I never thought about checking to see if I needed to run a x64 bit version of it or not. On the page of the version I downloaded, it said nothing about it being x64 bit or that it was designed to work in x64 bit.

    But that's almost another issue. When I install a new or updated program or driver, I always try to remove the previous version through add/remove. But for some reason, this time, I didn't think about doing that. I just installed the new version right over everything.

    I also forgot to check and see what folders for .NET were already in C drive.
    The reason I'm telling you this, is because right after I installed this new .NET, I found that I now had two listings of it in services, and of course. we all know, there should only be one.

    To give you the specific details. One entry says "Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v2.0.50727_x64. The other says: "Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v2.0.50727_x86"
    No mention of any version 3.5 or whatever.

    Then I went into C:\Program Files and I found a .NET folder that had only three .DLL's in it. I figure it must have been there awhile and that it's probably safe to get rid of (I still have it saved, just in case) so I deleted it. However I imagine your not going to agree with that action!! 

    Then I go to Windows and I find a .NET folder that I know was just put in there, because it had the same date that I installed the 3.5 version on. Now this is where it get's interesting. Inside this folder are two more folders. One says "Framework" and the other says "Framework64"

    Now if you open up Framework, inside are five sub folders, each with version listings. Two of them are version 1's, one is a version 2 and the other two are version 3's, with that last folder, actually being 3.5. Also in that folder, along with the five sub folders, are a whole bunch of .DLL's

    Now if you open up the Framework64 folder, things are a little different. There's only 3 sub folders. 1 version 2 folder and two version 3 folders, with, once again, the last one being 3.5. Also there's only about 4 .DLL's in there and that's it.

    So that's the story. My system is actually working fine, but obviously something needs to be done to get rid of the wrong entry in services. And get the right .NET folders in the right  place too and make sure everything works right.

    I also need to find out if I should have installed a x64 bit version of .NET Framework or not. I checked, and there are x64 bit versions available. I also need to find out what the default .NET is in Vista Basic x64. Is it x32 or x64?

    But all I do know, is that by downloading this 3.5 version, it fixed my Administrative Tools problem. I worry now, that if I uninstall it, that I'll have the same problem again. And by the way, this one is now listed in the add\remove programs.

    My final theory is that the .NET that was first in there may just have been corrupted and maybe needed a reinstall or a slight upgrade, or both. I think I should just uninstall everything I can related to .NET, registry entries and all, then find out the correct version to download and install it. Then check to see if I still have that original problem with Administrative Tools.

    However I have a feeling you're going to have a different solution for me and that's fine.

    Anxiously awaiting your response.
    Jan LaFata
    Jan LaFata