Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows won't run with new motherboard and processor  (Read 4061 times)

IllinoisWayne

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Windows won't run with new motherboard and processor
    « on: October 05, 2008, 08:43:43 PM »
    I am having problems with getting Windows XP Home Edition to work.  I had to replace a fried power supply, motherboard, and processor in a computer, but used the original hard drives.  When the computer boots now, the screen showing that Windows was not shut down correctly appears and when I select safe mode, a lot of not found files scroll by on the screen, finishing with a screen full of lines showing multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\<and a file name>.

I put the hard drives in a working computer, and I can get into safe mode.  If I put the hard drives from the working computer into the problem computer, Windows will start loading, there will be a brief flash of a blue screen, and the computer will reboot.

I installed another hard drive into the problem computer and installed Windows on it, and it works fine.  I can look at files on the original two problem drives with no problem.

The fried parts are an Intel D865PERL motherboard with a Celeron-D 2.93GHz processor.  The new motherboard is an ASUS P5N-E SLI and the processor is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz.

Any ideas on what I can do to get the original drives working with the new motherboard and processor?

bakersboy

Re: Windows won't run with new motherboard and processor
      « Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 10:42:57 PM »
      You know as well as anyone you going to have to reinstall, Thar's so Meany new thing poping up on new board and lots of softwere and drivers looking for the old board that it's cuesing a conflict more then one like hundreds of hundreds you still have to re activated even if you did get it too work.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 11:08:39 PM »
      You know as well as anyone you going to have to reinstall

Reinstall what??

Windows is probably not finding the drivers and so forth to run the new system board.  See if there's utility  programs on the disk that came with the system board which will install the chipset drivers.

It may come down to having to reinstall Windows on the hard drive so that it recognizes the new hardware -- however, wait for other input -- there may be ways around it of which I am not aware.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Dias de verano

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 12:38:39 AM »
      It may come down to having to reinstall Windows on the hard drive so that it recognizes the new hardware -- however, wait for other input -- there may be ways around it of which I am not aware.

The reality is that as far as Windows is concerned, new motherboard=new computer. Reinstall Windows.

IllinoisWayne

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 11:27:14 AM »
        Thanks.  I had hoped it would not come to that, but I guess that's the way it goes.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 02:41:56 PM »
        Another option is a Repair Install of XP...

If done properly it will boot on the new system you install the new drivers and all your Data and programs are intact...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "