Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unusual Computer Problem(most programs can't connect to the internet)  (Read 5689 times)

GojanT

Topic Starter

Starter

I am using a Laptop with Windows Vista OS. The problem i am encountering is that, whether or wireless or ethernet, when i connect to any network with internet access, most of my programs will still not connect to the internet. I know the problem isn't that the connection isn't really working, becuase xfire is able to connect to the internet, and at one point so was IE. However, Firefox, Google Chrome, Yahoo Mesenger, Windows Messenger, and numerous other programs i have on my computer refuse to connect. I have already checked the firewall, scanned excessively for viruses and other malware, and tried rebooting. IE no longer works either. I am at a dead end. Does anyone have any experience with anything simialar to this problem?

The Internet browsers are not giving me an error page, they simply won't connect. They never progress any toward loading the page.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Unusual Computer Problem(most programs can't connect to the internet)
    « Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 10:09:37 PM »
    If you go to Command Prompt (Start --> Search Bar--> cmd and press Enter), type ping www.google.com and press Enter.
    What are the results?

Also, when did the problem start? Any recent downloads/installs/hardware changes/ect....

GojanT

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 09:11:46 AM »
      the most recent changes i have made to the system of any kind were, in order, Downloading a new slingplayer version(three days before the problem began), and reactivating Norton security software(one day before). I have already checked norton, and additionally, in case it helps, my computer defrags weekly, including the day before the problem.

I will get back to you about the ping shortly

GojanT

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 11:33:50 AM »
        Ok...basically, the info i get after the ping is

4 packets sent, 4 packets received, 0% loss, Minimum: 52 ms, Maximum: 117 ms, Average: 76ms

Dunno if it will help, but another computer on the same network, WITHOUT the problem, has the same result but with Minimum 47, Maximum 49, Average 48

TheShadow

Hopeful

• Retiree in Florida
          • Yes
          • The Doctor
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 11:47:16 AM »
        In everything you've said, the only thing that jumps out at me is "Norton".
        If you'll just READ, you'll find thousands of reports, all over the internet, where Norton has screwed up someone's PC.  It's probably done more damage than any Virus. :'(

Shut it down 'Completely' and try your internet connections again.

Or better yet, run the best program to ever come out of Symantec,
        the, "Norton Removal Tool".
        http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2006050909471013

I use this tool on every PC that I work on, to remove the biggest threat to system stability and performance.

Good Luck,
        Shadow  8)
        Experience is truly the best teacher.
        Backup! Backup! Backup!  Ghost Rocks!

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 07:28:02 PM »
        Yeah, I suggest getting rid of Norton and installing a better antivius.
        There are a few free Antivirus programs out there that do just as well as paid software.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 08:20:44 PM »
        Did you try Safe Mode with Networking?

GojanT

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 06:24:53 PM »
          Well, i tried all of those things, and i actually already had a good free antivirus, i just never bothered to get rid of norton. I did try safe mode with networking, but was unable to get on the internet at all.

At this point though, i've solved the problem with a system recovery. I had to back up all my files, but everything is working now.

Thanks for the help anyway.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 07:44:49 PM »
          I'd still get rid of Norton using the Norton removal Tool available at Symantecs website....
          You and your machine will be much happier.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "