Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot connect to internet from Vista laptop  (Read 3869 times)

mrbrown

Cannot connect to internet from Vista laptop
« on: October 15, 2008, 11:17:32 AM »

I have been having a problem to connect to internet at home from my recently purchased laptop, and would highly appreciate your advices/suggestions.

Here is my situation:

My new laptop is HP 550, intel core duo, 32-bit, Windows Vista Business, service pack 1.  I am using a wired ADSL connection.  I use TCP/IPv4, with “obtain an IP address automatically” setting.  Because a fixed IP address is needed for my work, I use a free software called NetSetMan to switch the IP address each time when I am in office or at home.  For antivirus software, I use Avira AntiVir Premium.

I did the initial setup at home, but at that time, there was no problem to connect to internet at home.

Then, suddenly one day, I could not connect it to internet, so I started investigation.  I use a standard LAN cable.  This is not a problem with my cable or the provider because I have no problem to connect my old laptop (Windows XP) to internet.  The TCP/IP setting is exactly the same in both computers.  Even if I close the Avira AntiVir Premium completely (from Task Manager, I close the process, etc.), still no internet connection is available so I think it’s also not a problem caused by my antivirus software.  It says “Unidentified new work, Local only”.

Afterwards, I tested the internet connection in office.  In office, it is always no problem, so the computer itself is ok.  I think it’s a problem connected with Windows Vista, maybe.

Back at home, following my friend's suggestion, I disabled Windows Firewall.  Then, the problem was solved.

But, when I started the computer again, I could not connect to internet although the Windows Firewall was disabled.

When I switch the IP setting to office configuration, and then back to home configuration by using NetSetMan, the internet connection is usually back, but only for about 5 seconds, then it cannot connect to internet again.

Following advices I found on internet,

* I already disabled TCP/IPv6, but the problem is not solved.

* I already did Device Manager => Network adapters => Intel(R) 82562GT 10/100 Network Connection => Properties => Power Management => Check off “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.”, but the problem is not solved.

* I also did this (http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B928233&x=11&y=13), but the problem is not solved.

Here are some additional information

* Even when the internet connection is impossible, it is possible to access other PCs in the network (local network can be accessed).

* When I ping to www.google.com and www.yahoo.com, it shows IP address (DNS working?), but it times out because there is no reply coming.

* When I do ipconfig /all, it shows 2 DNS servers, but the top one is 0.0.0.0.

* When I access the ADSL modem, the physical address (MAC) is registered.

I would infinitely appreciate your help.