Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External Hard Drive not recognized  (Read 6507 times)

Iwishiknew

Topic Starter

Beginner
    External Hard Drive not recognized
    « on: October 23, 2008, 04:33:40 PM »
    Hello, I have a Maxtor Diamondmax 10 hard drive that is in a case to make it external, i have been using it for 4 years but recently it stopped working. Windows does not recognize it. It is connected with USB. Doesn't show up in My computer or in Device Manager or in TweakUI. The strange thing is there are two letters for DVD drives listed on My Computer but i only have one (don't know if that is a hint). I've tried changing the USB ports, changing cables, turning off and on, the power supply seems to work as the led lights are on. I'm stuck... maybe it's the case that the HD is in ? can i install it internally to see if that works ? i never did that before  :-[ Please any advise is greatly appreciated as i have ALL my music and personal files on the HD and really need to recover the data. thank you ..

Windows XP Pro
    version 2002
    Sevice Pack 2
    Pentium 4
    2.41 GHz

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
      • ACB Systems
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: External Hard Drive not recognized
    « Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 05:22:16 PM »
    This thread of mine is only similar to a degree but - just could be you might find some ideas within it.

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=60714
    Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!

Iwishiknew

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 09:20:58 PM »
      Thanks for the heads up Chris, i did scan through your thread and see there is a lot of info there but did you find a solution ? my hard disk doesn't even show up in Disk Management, i'm afraid it might be a right off....

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
        • ACB Systems
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 09:31:48 PM »
      No solution so far - tho time has meant I have not maybe explored all avenues.

If your disk does not show up at all then perhaps yeah - the disk itself may have succumbed to problems.  All I can think right now is - try to USB it to someone else's computer just to see.  First stage would be - does Win '"recognize it".

As ever - we can never know when a HDD will fail in some way - and I have several externals - hoping always they will survive!.
      Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 06:51:02 AM »
      If it does not sow in Disk Management or on another machine your best bet to try and salvage the Data would be to remove it from the enclosure and hook it up as a slave internally on an IDE connector...
      Be prepared to start copying files...you may only get one chance.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Iwishiknew

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 03:56:04 AM »
        If it does not sow in Disk Management or on another machine your best bet to try and salvage the Data would be to remove it from the enclosure and hook it up as a slave internally on an IDE connector...
        Be prepared to start copying files...you may only get one chance.

thanks for the info Patio. I will try that but first nead to buy a new external HD to transfer the data as if you say i may only have one chance. I will post the results ...

Iwishiknew

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 05:08:26 PM »
          I tried to install the problem external HD internally as a slave to my primary IDE master HD but it didn't show up. I then tried to install the problem HD as a slave to my secondary IDE (the master is a dvd player) but it also didn't show up and strangely the dvd player also didn't show up. Is the HD dead ?

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 05:33:54 PM »
          Maybe not.
          When you make any hardware changes sometimes the BIOS just gets plain confused...
          I would power down and make sure the CD is jumpered as master first.
          Then power up and enter Setup.
          In the Advanced Settings page or whichever one lists your drives see if it's listed there...if so highlight it and hit Enter which tells the BIOS to auto-detect the drive.
          If it shows up with the proper name and size designation press F10 to "save changes and exit" and let the machine re-boot.
          Check it now in Disk Management.

P.S. You can also temporarily unhook the CD drive to get it to recognise. The end connector on the ribbon cable is for master; the middle for slave.

Let's hope it's not DOA.

Iwishiknew

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 06:24:19 PM »
            the problem HD doesn't show up in bios as a secondary slave,  the dvd player also isn't recognized (which is the secondary master). the DVD player does show up when the problem HD is not connected as slave. How can i get bios to recognize the secondary master (DVD player) ?

You can also temporarily unhook the CD drive to get it to recognise. The end connector on the ribbon cable is for master; the middle for slave.

i tried unplugging the power cable and re plugging it but nothing... i also tried connecting problem HD as secondary master but also nothing. Can i unhook the DVD drive while it's powered up ?
            « Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 06:41:46 PM by Iwishiknew »

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 07:14:06 PM »
            NO ! !

You may also want to try a spare IDE ribbon along with the steps i mentioned above...you're moving too fast and not trying everything suggested.

Iwishiknew

Topic Starter

Beginner
              « Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 07:50:01 PM »
              I would power down and make sure the CD is jumpered as master first.
              the DVD is secondary master.. CD drive is secondary slave.. is that what you mean ?
              You may also want to try a spare IDE ribbon along with the steps i mentioned above...you're moving too fast and not trying everything suggested.
              Should i buy a new IDE ribbon, what step did i miss ?

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 07:36:12 AM »
              Forget the CD/DVD drives for now....they are already working .
              Unplug both of them.
              Jumper the troubled HDD as slave and connect it to the niddle connector on IDE2 ( the cable you just disconnected from the CD/DVD drives. j

Power up and see if the drive is now recognised by Windows Disk Management...if not:
              In the Advanced Settings page or whichever one lists your drives see if it's listed there...if so highlight it and hit Enter which tells the BIOS to auto-detect the drive.
              If it shows up with the proper name and size designation press F10 to "save changes and exit" and let the machine re-boot.
              Check it now in Disk Management.

Iwishiknew

Topic Starter

Beginner
                « Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 03:19:25 PM »
                Ok I connected the problem HDD as slave on the secondary IDE and left the master unplugged (normally DVD drive), when i booted up in BIOS the secondary slave failed.  ???

In Bios there are the options for the drives; auto, user HDD etc... what should it be set to ?

I don't know how to set the HDD as slave (jumper).. i am trying to figure that out now on the Maxtor website but i can't find it, it has to do with changing the little plastic cover on some of the pins next to the power connecter but i just don't know what i'm supposed to do... it's a Maxtor DiamondMax 10

thanks,
                « Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 03:39:53 PM by Iwishiknew »

Iwishiknew

Topic Starter

Beginner
                  « Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 03:43:38 PM »
                  i just figuered out how to jumper the HDD as slave, will try now to reboot ... ok i did and the drive is not recognized in BIOS, it just says secondary slave - none.  ???

is there anything else to try ?
                  « Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 03:55:26 PM by Iwishiknew »

asivakumar

Greenhorn

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 12:29:31 AM »
                    your system cmos setting change (sata cable option enable OR  Disable)
                    « Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 12:41:25 AM by asivakumar »

asivakumar

Greenhorn

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 12:32:49 AM »
                      cmos setting sata option enable or disable .check the setting ( advace option)

Iwishiknew

Topic Starter

Beginner
                        « Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 04:39:39 AM »
                        cmos setting sata option enable or disable .check the setting ( advace option)

Where do i find this option ? i don't see it in BIOS ?

asivakumar

Greenhorn

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 05:14:07 AM »
                          advance

Drive Configuration

use Automatic mode        Disable

Use serial ATA                  Enable
                          ATA/IDE Mode                   Native
                          S.M.A.R.T.                          Enable

your change to use automatic mode check & S.M.A.R.T. Please check then good result thanks.

Iwishiknew

Topic Starter

Beginner
                            « Reply #18 on: October 30, 2008, 12:45:07 PM »
                            asivakumar i don't understand, can't find those options.... could you be more clear pkease, thanks.

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 01:08:25 PM »
                              I think asivakumar is suggesting you modify your BIOS settings, but I'm not sure how he is able to provide this info since you have not mentioned ANYTHING that would give a clue regarding your computer or its BIOS.  (You haven't done anything wrong Iwishiknew.)

asivakumar, you seem to be jumping the gun here.  How do you know if this computer even has SATA? 
                              Why is this thus?  What is the reason for this thusness?