Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows media player 11  (Read 5850 times)

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: windows media player 11
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 03:46:01 AM »
What about with VLC Media Player?
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

tm4mt1

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 09:44:59 PM »
I had the exact same problem, but with all media players.  Sound and a black screen.  It just all of a sudden happened out of nowhere on a reboot.  Video files that I had played the day before would not play correctly now.  I searched around different forums and found what seemed to be a common fix.  If you have an ATI video card and have ATI Catalyst Control Center installed, this may be your solution.  Open Catalyst > Video>Video Basics>Video Presets.  If it's set to "Custom", that's probably your problem.  Set it to "Home" and click Apply.  When I first tried this, Catalyst would not let it change to "Home".  No matter what I'd click on in the pull-down menu it would remain "Custom".  Only after I did a Windows System Restore was I able to switch it to "Home".  After that everything worked normally again.  Hope this helps you out. :)

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 01:03:32 AM »
Tm3mt1, thanks for contributing but I am afraid this topic is almost a month old.  :-\

Joker08

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2008, 03:48:23 PM »
    thanks for the advice i do have ati and mine is set to custom and just like you said i am unable to change it to home. I tried to do a system restore but it still doesnt let me, is there a certain time frame on the system restore you did or did you just pick a random one before it let you change the setting?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #19 on: October 26, 2008, 12:56:05 AM »
    Ummm....What happened to VLC Media Player?

Joker08

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2008, 05:47:54 PM »
      the screen is just black as well when i use it, it is the same as with media player, the problem that other guy listed is similar to mine i went into my ati settings and mine is also set to custom instead of home, i wonder if i re-install the catalyst program if it will allow me to change it

Joker08

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2008, 08:44:21 PM »
        TM hit it on the button i uninstalled my drivers and the catalyst software and videos worked on wmp and vlc so i just gotta figure out if its the driver or the catalyst software.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #22 on: November 04, 2008, 02:00:40 AM »
        Hey, sorry for losing this topic. Things have been quite busy for me.  :-\

Anyways, what's your status now? Problem solved/remains?