Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook 2000 - You do not have permission to log on.  (Read 3593 times)

Baffled

Topic Starter

Beginner

Outlook 2000 - You do not have permission to log on.
    « on: November 04, 2008, 02:28:18 AM »
    I have a Windows Server 2003 exchange server upon which I have set up a new mailbox. When I try to open the mailbox through outlook 2000 I get the following error messages: -

1) on Outlook 2000 under Windows 2000 Professional, Outlook opens part way and, before opening the mailbox, it says "Unable to open your default e-mails folder. You do not have permission to log on."

2) on Outlook 2000 under xp professional, outlook doesn't get a chance to open any windows before it says "Unable to open your default e-mail folder. You do not have permission to log on".

I've tried deleting the mailbox and recreating it, but that does nothing to alleviate the problem.

Any ideas? ???

Baffled

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Outlook 2000 - You do not have permission to log on.
      « Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 07:12:58 AM »
      Hi,

This was another one of those kickself problems. I had my eureka moment this morning soon after I posted the question. Although I had copied the user id in Active Directory and so all of the settings should have been the same as the userid I had copied from, the new userid had no mailbox permission for itself. So, the new userid was not permitted to pick up the new mailbox.

I corrected this oversight and the thing now works... Hooray!

As to why the same version of Outlook 2000 got to a different error message when run under different operating systems, I haven't a clue. But it works now on both platforms. So that's OK by me!

Thanks. I hope that this explanation may help others trapped in the same predicament.