Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP OmniBook 510 OS Help  (Read 6991 times)

LtRyan5184

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • EMS Supervisor
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
HP OmniBook 510 OS Help
« on: November 10, 2008, 08:50:26 PM »
Hello all,

I recently was given a HP OmniBook 510 "Ultra Portable" PC. It was given to me for free so I didn't really check it over for issues before I got it. To my dismay, the docking pins were bent and would arch if I docked the Computer to its Base station. This would not normaly be an issue, however the PC itself has no CD/DVD or Floppy drives, the base does. So now the base is rendered useless. I attempted to install windows 98 on a similar PC and then use that as a base to upgrade to XP. It worked, however when setup attempted to copy the rest of the files it failed. I attemped the same with linux and still nothing. I need this laptop to work, so I can use it. It does not seem that the BIOS supports native USB boot either, so my exteral USB DVD Drive is useless too. I do have 2 small home network servers, but I really do not know how to do a network install. Any and all help is appriciated!

Thanks.
John

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: HP OmniBook 510 OS Help
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 02:00:04 AM »
I would get (or borrow) an external CD Drive.

Its not possible to install over a network.

LtRyan5184

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • EMS Supervisor
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: HP OmniBook 510 OS Help
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 03:58:00 PM »
I would get (or borrow) an external CD Drive.

Its not possible to install over a network.

I'm quite sure that it is possible to install over the network, via Microsoft Server 2003 Remote Instilation Services Client. Seeing as that was specificialy designed to preform that very task. Also, as i said in my post, the computer does not support USB boot.