Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: acer 4741g BIOS recovery  (Read 8788 times)

martyj13

acer 4741g BIOS recovery
« on: July 25, 2011, 12:42:38 PM »
Hi guys, Sorry about the quite long post but I think it's important I provide as much specific information as possible.

I went to official acer website to update drivers, thought there was an update for my BIOS and used that to flash - didn't realise it was for same model notebook as mine but slightly different graphics card.
So yeah my computer force restarted, with long beep two short beeps, and continuous black screen.

I read http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/11839-Acer-aspire-5536g-bios-dead?highlight=bios+acer+4741g+screen that someone fixed it on their 5536g just using a usb drive and not pressing anything so I've been trying the method posted by spkleader: basically he posted 'phoenix crisys disk' link, copy original BIOS for your computer into the crisys folder and rename wph name to bios.wph, run winsys targetting a usb stick

With the original BIOS firstly I couldn't find the exact original so I tried the closest I could find on the site Acer Support: Downloads & Support Documents 'supports i5 450m' whereas I have i5 430m. The others I don't think I can use as they are to support other graphics cards to mine (I have GT 320m)

I downloaded that and just copied the DOS files over (didn't think I need the win exe file also) into the folder and renamed the wph file and ran wincris onto a 250mb usb stick.
I have the battery plugged in now with AC adapter, put usb in and held 'function esc' to get into BIOS recovery, turned on and my USB light flickered rapidly, then stayed on, i let go of function esc at this point, the light went off for 5 seconds then on and continued like this. Is this maybe an indicator it's seeing the USB but rejecting the BIOS I gave it? I waited 20 minutes and the computer has not turned itself off yet like they said it would (as a sign that its gone back to default BIOS)

So basically I guess I could be doing a few things wrong here, do u think that BIOS would be ok to use? do i have to press function escape, and if so what exact time should i let them go? (hard to tell with no screen lol) Do I have to use a usb floppy drive to do this? (I didn't think so cos that guy on the other forum managed to)
Any help would be great, I've been searching for hours on a clear solution even talking to Acer (but they don't support using crysis disk)

If you need me to provide more details please let me know thanks bless you

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: acer 4741g BIOS recovery
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 05:23:20 PM »
Usually BIOS versions are cumulative, the latest version should work for all variations.  You really have nothing to lose, since at this point, your laptop is not fully functional.