Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Setting up Server 2003 on virtual pc 07.........cannot connect to internet  (Read 7129 times)

rhoads

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hi all, I'm hoping you can help me with something ive been struggling with. Please bare with me as i am a networking newbie but trying to put together a home network for learning purposes. I have two machines that i will be dealing with but so far the issue i have is just with one, for which i installed virtual pc 07 on to of xp. On the virtual machine i want Server 03 so i installed it on the virual machine. I know one of the best practices when installing an OS is to get updates right away so i tried that and my problem is i cannot connect to the internet. Page cannot be displayed error. My LAN connection looks good. I did reinstall from ISO but i didnt think that would do it. Would you guide me in the right direction? Like i said im a newbie so this may sound easy to some of u but ive grown frustrated.....please help!!!

rhoads

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Setting up Server 2003 on virtual pc 07.........cannot connect to internet
    « Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 11:27:47 PM »
    Did you set up LAN on the virtual machine itself?
    Being as I dont have it installed right now, I cant tell you how to get there. However, its under some sort of configuration. Remember, the virtual machine must be off before you can configure those options.

Also, check the device manager and make sure that its detecting the device in the virtual machine.

rhoads

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Setting up Server 2003 on virtual pc 07.........cannot connect to internet
      « Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 06:45:30 AM »
      Yes, I do have a LAN connection on the virtual machine. I have the icon in my tray on the bottom of the screen. My configuration looks good.....i think.....with preferred dns pointing to the IP address. I believe i tried changing it to the loopback address just to see if that had anything to do with it but no luck. I can ping myself, my gateway(router), an outside ip address such as google. Stumped.

rhoads