Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installing Windows XP, DISK BOOT FAILURE, Walkthrough anyone?  (Read 10713 times)

mattman18t

Topic Starter

Rookie

Installing Windows XP, DISK BOOT FAILURE, Walkthrough anyone?
    « on: November 25, 2008, 06:08:51 PM »
    I'm trying to install Windows XP on a brand newly built machine.   every single piece that is installed is installed correctly.  I have disconnected everything that is not vital to installing the OS.  I have also tried searching for this topic, and have tried the suggestions, such as disconnecting as much as possible.

I only have the graphics card, mobo, and dvd drive connected.   
    I keep getting DISK BOOT FAILURE  when I  try to load WIndows XP.  I have checked my bios and set the primary drive to the cd rom. 

Any other ideas?!

I'm at a loss, and hopefully someone has some sort of resolution for this.

Thanks for trying to help. 

-Matt ???

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru

mattman18t

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Installing Windows XP, DISK BOOT FAILURE, Walkthrough anyone?
      « Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 06:59:20 PM »
      Yep.  It didn't Help.  Thanks for the link, though.  CMOS is set, I've been making sure of that for the last couple hours.   I'm truly at a loss, and have read over and over, and nothing seems to fix this.  Is there a chance, that I just can not load from CD ROM and I have to load from floppy.  I even have floppy turned off in the BIOS, and have CD ROM as primary drive.

?????????????????????? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???  ?????????????????????

JJ 3000

Egghead
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 09:14:39 PM »
      I only have the graphics card, mobo, and dvd drive connected.   

You will need to connect  hard drive. If you have PATA drives, make sure the jumpers are in the correct positions. Also make sure the drives are recognized in BIOS.

You may see a message as the computer is booting up that says "press any key to boot to cd". Even if you dont see that message, just keep tapping the space bar as the computer is booting up.
      Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.
      http://www.petfinder.com/

mattman18t

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 05:14:40 PM »
        Yeah, I have been trying that.  , to no avail.  DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

That is what my computer looks like.   

My system shows in the BIOS that the HDD is enabled, but what's the best way to make sure that the hard drive is being recognized?  This, I believe, could be a hardware problem with the HDD.

WIll I get a message or status bar that shows the number of free space so I know that it is being seen?

thx.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 05:17:50 PM »
        What is your boot order set to?

Do you have a legit XP CD?
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

mattman18t

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 06:00:24 PM »
          Boot order is set to CD Rom, and the second and 3rd are disabled?  Should I set them to anything if I have only one cdrom drive, and no floppy?

Yes, I have a Legit copy of WIndows XP.  It's the disc that came with my other computer.   It says Operating System on the very top of it.

Then it says Reinstallation CD, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, including Service Pack 1a.

Does this sound like the disk I should be using?  I have never loaded an OS before. This is my first time.  But, I feel confident, that I have everything configured 99%correctly .   

So, what do I need to look for in the BIOS that guarantees my HDD is being seen properly?

thanks,
          -Matt

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 06:06:23 PM »
            Tried another hard drive?

Alan <><  :D
            I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

mattman18t

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 06:12:49 PM »
              Don't have another one Alan, But the HDD I'm trying to use is brand new, and have no reason, as of yet, to think its in need of RMA .

Will an Iomega External Hard Drive Work ?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              • Computer: Specs
              « Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 06:45:38 PM »
              Boot order is set to CD Rom, and the second and 3rd are disabled?  Should I set them to anything if I have only one cdrom drive, and no floppy?

Yes, I have a Legit copy of WIndows XP.  It's the disc that came with my other computer.   It says Operating System on the very top of it.

Then it says Reinstallation CD, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, including Service Pack 1a.

Does this sound like the disk I should be using?  I have never loaded an OS before. This is my first time.  But, I feel confident, that I have everything configured 99%correctly .   

So, what do I need to look for in the BIOS that guarantees my HDD is being seen properly?

thanks,
              -Matt

Can you set the second or third to your hard disk? if not, the BIOS might not be detecting the HD.
              I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

mattman18t

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 06:49:37 PM »
                I can, Now, in the CMOS, it puts the Drive at default to IDE Channel 0 Slave, and IDE Channel 4 slave.

Is this correct, or should it be changed?

thanks.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
                  • Experience: Expert
                  « Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 07:33:21 AM »
                  Don't have another one Alan, But the HDD I'm trying to use is brand new, and have no reason, as of yet, to think its in need of RMA .

I've taken too many things "right out of the box" and have it be defective.  Not to say that this is the case here but it's always nice to have some extra hardware around when you have issues to trade out.   ;)

Alan <><  :D
                  I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

JJ 3000

Egghead
                  • Experience: Familiar
                  « Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 09:18:11 AM »
                  I can, Now, in the CMOS, it puts the Drive at default to IDE Channel 0 Slave, and IDE Channel 4 slave.

Is this correct, or should it be changed?

thanks.
                  The drive should be IDE 0 MASTER. You need to change your jumper settings or the position of the hard drive on the IDE ribbon (Master goes on the end). If you have only one hard drive and only one CD drive they both shuld be jumpered to MASTER and connected to sepaeate IDE ribbons (HD on IDE 0 CD on IDE 1).

In BIOS you want to change your BOOT ORDER - this is different from the master/slave settings. You press the right arrow key to move over to BOOT or maybe ADVANCED and look for you boot order or boot priority or boot sequence (they are all the same). You usually press the plus and minus keys to move your devices up and down in the boot order. set yours like this:
                  1. Floppy (if you have one)
                  2. CD
                  3. HDD
                  « Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 09:45:19 AM by JJ 3000 »
                  Save a Life!
                  Adopt a homeless pet.
                  http://www.petfinder.com/

mattman18t

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 10:11:16 AM »
                    I have the Boot Order correct.  I am also not using IDE. I am using SATA for the HDD and cd rom.   
                    So, does the sequence of plugging in matter if I am using SATA?  Do the HDD and CDROM have to plugged in to the PSU using different SATA Cables?

I think I found the problem though.  I have been trying to use a DELL windows XP install Disc, which I have always thought to be a Windows XP copy, but recently found out that this disc might not have the entire windows program on it.

patio

• Genius
                    • Maud' Dib
                      • Yes
                    « Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 10:23:43 AM »
                    An OEM (Dell) install CD will only work on the machine it shipped with.
                    You need a Windows CD.
                    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "