Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Graphics Card Problem/Drivers? Garbeled Screen, black screen Nvidia GeForce 5200  (Read 8003 times)

LostAcres

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Hi, I hope someone might be able to help me I have a Dell DImension 8300. THe graphics card that came with the system was the Nvidia geforce 5200. A few days ago my screen started going weird, garbled, turning black, locking up system etc. Went through Dell **** support, was told my graphics card was bad. Ordered a new one, and while waiting, tried uninstalling Nvidia drivers and downloaded most current drivers. Did not work, same issues, probably worse. New card came (ATI Atlantis RADEON 9000 128MB) Followed directions, uninstalled drivers for old card, replaced card, but now my monitor would not work at all, yellow light, no video input. Reinstalled the old card, and reinstalled drivers, same problem as before. THe only way I can get the old card to work is to totally uninstall all drivers for the card, and of course, my display is a little wonky. Any ideas what the reason could be that the new Radion card will not work? Or why the Nvidia drivers are creating problems, even though updated?  When I did call Dell back, they told me I needed a new motherboard. I don't think that is the case?.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Do both cards use same slot?

LostAcres

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

well yes, I removed the Nvidia card, and installed the new one in the same slot. But my monitor would not come on. Has power, but green lights turn yellow when I try to boot. So I removeed the new card and reinstalled the old Nvidia card, but it goes crazy with the Nvidia drivers.  Running now without the drivers, hence I cannot change any settings as resolution, or screen goes crazy again.  If I try to reinstall the Nvidia drivers same thing happens, screen goes crazy.  I just downloaded another driver 91.31 from Nvidea, but at this point I am terrified to try it.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      Maybe that slot has a problem. Do you have another one available?

LostAcres

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

no I don't think so, there is an empty slot next to it, but it does not look like it would fit the card. I don't think the slot is the problem, I believe it is a driver issue, though why the new card does not work I do not know....maybe it came damaged?  I am at a total loss here, as I ahve tried everything I dare to try

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        In that case, I'd try your new card in another computer. Bad devices, just out-of-the-box, happen.
        If the card checks out OK, Dell people may be right.

LostAcres

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

well problem is that the only other computer I have is my work laptop, so that will not work.  I am wondering if I am doing the right thing when I uninstall my Nvidia drivers using the add/remove programs, since when I reboot, though it is running without the drivers,  they are still in the add/remove program files.  Very frustrating

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          That shouldn't matter, because most new video cards while installing will overwrite any existing video drivers.

LostAcres

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I guess I can try to install the drivers I just downloaded, but I am terrified.  Its hard to uninstall them when you have a few seconds of screen to uninstall if the screen goes weird again.  Its literally catching a clear screen between blackouts and lockup. 

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            Its hard to uninstall them when you have a few seconds of screen to uninstall if the screen goes weird again.
            Do it in Safe Mode, where only generic drivers are installed.

LostAcres

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Not sure how to do that... ???Just boot up iin safemode, then install those drivers?

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              Yeah.

LostAcres

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

just did that and lost everything again....this is a nightmare. Every time I try to instal those Nvidia drivers my computer goes nuts. In safe moe it told me I had a keyboard failure, was finally able to AGAIN delete teh Nvidia drivers, only reason I can post here at all.  Maybe this system is dying and its time to buy an external harddrive, back up 6 yrs worth of files, and start looking at a new computer.  But this system has been so steady, no issues.  Could SP3 be the problem?  How do I revert back to SP2?

LostAcres

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I guess I am at the point of getting an external hard drive, backing up my stuff, and then thinking of a new system.  I did try to revert back to SP2, but did not work.
                  I am frustrated to no believe

Broni

Mastermind
                    • Computer Help Forum
                  I thought, you're trying to install ATI drivers in Safe Mode...
                  You said something about SP3. Did the problems start after SP3 installation?
                  What do you mean by you can't remove SP3? Did you go to Add\Remove?