Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New Router (Asus WL-500W) issues: won't connect to internet, even with wired  (Read 3513 times)

Biglesworth23

Topic Starter

Alright... I just purchased a new router (Asus WL-500W) since my current one is *censored*. I install everything, and bam... nothing. Not even my PC that is connected via ethernet cable is getting anything.

The only time anything happened was RIGHT after starting up the router, I tried yahoo.com... it came up once, then refused to do so again. I log into the router and check connection status... it will either say "ethernet cable is not connected" or more likely something about the ip address, how it can't renew it, etc. The time it was actually working for about 15 seconds, their was actual connection status info.. like ip address and other info. Then it disappears very quickly.

So I'm not sure what to do. I tried running the quick setup that came on the installation cd a bunch of times, but no luck. I've tried different ethernet cables to make sure it wasn't a crap cable. The router light "WAN" just flashes a bunch of times after that initial 15-30 seconds, and the manual states that means there is a problem with the connection.

My old router still works fine when I plug all the cables back into that one.

Info:
    Asus WL-500W
    Running Windows XP
    Comcast High Speed Internet

EDIT: I updated the router's firmware to the latest update. Would it help to flash it with DD-WRT or something like that?

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      Take it back as it's defective.

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Biglesworth23

Topic Starter

You really think so? Cripes. Ah well, I'll try a little bit more.. and if nothing.. then off back to newegg it goes

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        Bad, brand new hardware happens.