Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My computer crashes every time unless I start in Safe Mode  (Read 4687 times)

wiped

Topic Starter

Starter

My computer crashes every time unless I start in Safe Mode
    « on: December 05, 2008, 09:52:44 AM »
    This problem started when i attempted to install Daemon Tools, it requested that I restart the computer to install it. I did that and the computer seemed to start up just fine, however when it got to the point where it would normally have begun installing the screen goes blue and I get an error message:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error sign restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

(it used to say something about making sure my software and hardware is properly installed, but it no longer says that for some reason.)

check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adaptors.

check with your hardware vendor for BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching and shadowing.

Technical Information:

***STOP: 0X0000008E (0X0000005, 0X0B6101FB, 0XAA9E1484, 0X00000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical memory dump complete"

I have plenty of space on my harddrives.
    I have tried going into Safe Mode and making the computer start in the Diagnostic start up, but that simply made the computer crash immediately rather than after some drivers have loaded.
    I've even deleted the installation file for Daemon Tools in the hope that it would prevent it from installing but it made absolutely no difference.
    I would use system restore to reverse the changes, however for some reason system restore has been shut off and I cannot turn it back on in Safe mode and I simply do not get enough time to turn it back on in the normal mode.

There is nothing on this computer that I care to lose, so if there's a way to simply revert the entire computer to how it was on Day 1 I'll just do that.

Here's some my system specs in case they might help:

Microsoft XP
    Professional
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 2

Benq Corporation
    Intel(R) Pentium(R)M
    Processor 1.73 GHz
    1.73 GHz, 504 MV of RAM

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: My computer crashes every time unless I start in Safe Mode
    « Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 10:19:57 AM »
    MS denotes this as most likely a driver issue...
    Prior to Daemon was there any new hardware installed ? ?
    If so check Device Manager for any Yellow !!'s and correct/re-install the offending drivers.

If this is not the case then the issue is with Daemon.
    My non-technical understanding of how this tool works is it creates a virtual CD drive using free HDD space so games etc. can be run directly from the HDD.
    To do so it has to "fake out Windows" into thinking a device exists that really doesn't. This uses a "driver" to do so.

If you are sure you have fully removed Daemon check the following:
    Right click My Computer...select Manage and then Disk Management.
    Look for a drive that is not a physical drive or partition that you know you have .
    Right clik the drive and select Unmount if that option is available.
    If that is not one of the choices exit out and repeat the same thru plain old Windows Explorer.
    Re-boot the machine.
    Run chkdsk /r on that drive at the earliest possible convenience and also defrag.
    Good Luck.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

wiped

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 11:42:21 AM »
      I checked on the device manager, but i didn't find anything.

I also looked in Disk Management, but there were no extra partitions and only a single disk drive, i checked to see if there was an unmount option anyway, but there wasn't.
      I think this may be because Daemon hasn't actually had the opportunity to be installed and therefore create a driver. The problem may be happening at start up when Daemon was scheduled to install.

I defragged both of my partitioned hard drives and also ran chkdsk just for the *censored* of it, and then restarted, but it still crashed.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 11:45:46 AM »
      I also looked in Disk Management, but there were no extra partitions and only a single disk drive,

I defragged both of my partitioned hard drives

This sounds like a contradiction...please provide more info on your drive/partition setup

wiped

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 11:50:12 AM »
        my total disk space is separated into two different hard disk drives, it's been like that since I got the computer originally.
        There were no more than that when I looked at Disk management.

wiped

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 11:51:42 AM »
          and of course i have the one CD drive

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 12:41:18 PM »
          Try booting into safe mode and re-installing Daemon tools and then re-boot and see if you can un-install it properly...other than that i'm out of ideas other than a backup and clean install.