Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Format Old Harddrive XP/Install New OS Vista  (Read 7988 times)

chad c

Topic Starter

Rookie

Format Old Harddrive XP/Install New OS Vista
    « on: December 05, 2008, 10:27:46 AM »
    1st Question is, is this possible?  (to switch from one OS to another)

Second:  I already had the comp at best buy and they told me I had a virus in Internet explorer.  So I bought a New desk top comp with Vista on it and love it.

Third can someone break down the process of how I format the old harddrive, and install the new operating system.

IE I don't have the OS XP disks any longer as the comp is a little older and moved 3 times since then.

Thanks for all your help.

chad c

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Format Old Harddrive XP/Install New OS Vista
      « Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 11:24:10 AM »
      Any help?   I just want to start all over..   I have already removed all the pictures/ music/ programs I need..

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 11:28:36 AM »
      It's very unclear what you want to do here...
      Old machine = XP...no XP CD's
      New machine = Vista installed.

Old Hdd gets ...what ? ?
      You can't transfer Vista from the new machine to the old machine/drive without purchasing a new copy of Vista or XP.

The rule of thumb from MS is one liscense one machine...period.

So let us know a bit clearer what your goals are and we'll go from there.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

chad c

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 11:47:08 AM »
        OKay lets just say I have a new version of Visita with the product key.

OLD HDD gets Vista

Where do I start?  I want to format the old comp (remove XP and install Vista)   Really I am new to this so please dont flame.   If this post is in the worng section or something please tell me and ill search there...  Again, computers are not my thing just trying to get it running properly.

Thanks

critt

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 12:00:28 PM »
          Chad,

Vista was installed to the new machine.  Microsoft has validated it to that particular machine.  It can't be moved to another.  You'll need to purchase a new Vista for the old machine. 

chad c

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 12:03:52 PM »
            OKay that was easy....    So, is there a way to keep the old OS and just repair it with no XP disks?   Like I stated in the 1st post they were lost?

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 12:12:19 PM »
              OKay that was easy....    So, is there a way to keep the old OS and just repair it with no XP disks?   Like I stated in the 1st post they were lost?

you could use an w98 floppy/CD on the old machine, then check if there is and i386 folder on
              the drive...if there is you could cd to the i386 folder and try winnt....that would start the xp install and when you select install it should find the existing version and you can tell it to repair it...

Good Luck

chad c

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 12:16:04 PM »
                and if I dont have a windows 98 CD?   

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 12:17:27 PM »
                  and if I dont have a windows 98 CD?   

I believe you cab download and burn one...use your vista machine and google it...the download and burn one...

ok found one here...but there are others also...

http://www.allbootdisks.com/download/iso.html

chad c

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 12:18:47 PM »
                    thanks for your help.. I really apprciate it...

critt

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 12:20:40 PM »
                      For non-experts like you and I, you need a CD disk or a good computer repair shop.  They have restore disks.

I had the same problem and the only thing suggested to me was to Google find an  i386 file and image it to a CD, run and repair.  Some forums have free files to use this way.  I didn't feel confident enough to try it.

Since you only had a virus, removing it didn't help?  XP has a restore option and a recovery option that work well for most injuries.  

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 12:23:06 PM »
                        For non-experts like you and I, you need a CD disk or a good computer repair shop.  They have restore disks.

I had the same problem and the only thing suggested to me was to Google find an  i386 file and image it to a CD, run and repair.  Some forums have free files to use this way.  I didn't feel confident enough to try it.

Since you only had a virus, removing it didn't help?  XP has a restore option and a recovery option that work well for most injuries.  

must have missed where he said he had a virus...cause if he did and it isn't cleaned up there is
                        more trouble brewing...you are correct...

patio

• Genius
                        • Maud' Dib
                          • Yes
                        « Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 12:29:34 PM »
                        You can't always facilitate a reinstall from an existing i386 folder...
                        Your best bet right now would be to borrow an XP CD and do a  Repair Install of XP....

Read it thru to get familiar and print out a copy for reference.

This is assuming the XP install on the old machine is legit as you will have to re-validate at some point...especially to get Updates.

NOTE: The XP CD has to match both the version you were running and the installed Service Packs...i.e. XP PRO with SP2 then that's the CD you need to borrow.

NOTE # 2: An OEM ( Dell HP etc ) CD will not work for this procedure.

Good Luck.

chad c

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 12:47:11 PM »
                          Thanks for all your inputs guys.....

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                            • Yes
                            • Yes
                            • BC-Programming.com
                          • Certifications: List
                          • Computer: Specs
                          « Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 05:09:37 PM »

you could use an w98 floppy/CD on the old machine, then check if there is and i386 folder on
                          the drive...if there is you could cd to the i386 folder and try winnt....that would start the xp install and when you select install it should find the existing version and you can tell it to repair it...

Good Luck

erm- windows 98 can't read NTFS, which precludes this method.

This may explain your stance on having to format a drive before it can be seen, as well....
                          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

chad c

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2008, 10:57:47 PM »
                            So, is my only option to format the HDD?   and buy a new version of XP?

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008, 10:38:26 AM »

Good Luck

This may explain your stance on having to format a drive before it can be seen, as well....

correct..need to use ntfsdos

patio

• Genius
                              • Maud' Dib
                                • Yes
                              « Reply #17 on: December 06, 2008, 02:09:05 PM »
                              So, is my only option to format the HDD?   and buy a new version of XP?
                              I suggested another option above...it does not say format and re-install.

killerb255

Adviser
                                • Experience: Expert
                                « Reply #18 on: December 06, 2008, 08:42:56 PM »

Good Luck

Or Windows PE 2.1:

Info
                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Preinstallation_Environment

Required WAIK if you don't have a Vista disc to make PE out of:
                                http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=C7D4BC6D-15F3-4284-9123-679830D629F2&displaylang=en

Instructions for creation:
                                http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t83722.html

From the PE environment, cd to the i386 folder and find winnt32.exe (winnt.exe won't work--PE is a 32-bit enviroment and has no 16-bit emulation to run winnt.exe, a 16-bit executable).
                                Quote from: talontromper
                                Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2008, 11:17:50 AM »

Good Luck

Or Windows PE 2.1:

Info
                                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Preinstallation_Environment

Required WAIK if you don't have a Vista disc to make PE out of:
                                  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=C7D4BC6D-15F3-4284-9123-679830D629F2&displaylang=en

Instructions for creation:
                                  http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t83722.html

From the PE environment, cd to the i386 folder and find winnt32.exe (winnt.exe won't work--PE is a 32-bit enviroment and has no 16-bit emulation to run winnt.exe, a 16-bit executable).

also a BARTPE here:

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

patio

• Genius
                                  • Maud' Dib
                                    • Yes
                                  « Reply #20 on: December 07, 2008, 11:32:13 AM »
                                  He doesn't have an XP CD and the Vista is liscensed to another machine so i don't understand where this is going....
                                  He can borrow an XP CD to re-install provided the other machine is legit...

killerb255

Adviser
                                    « Reply #21 on: December 07, 2008, 10:18:42 PM »
                                    The idea is to get to the i386 folder on his machine (which has the Windows XP source files on it).  PE discs (Bart, Win, etc.) allow this.  From there, he can run winnt32.exe and start a repair-install from it.

No need for an XP disc this way and it's legal because:

1) Win PE 2.1 is free, provided that the user makes their own disc using the WAIK or a Vista disc (the WAIK in this case).  Distributing a Win PE 2.1 pre-made ISO, on the other hand, is against the EULA.

2) Many manufacturers of factory-built machines (not all, but many) stick the XP source files in an i386 folder.

I use PE all the time to do unattended installs of Windows XP from a network share.  Starting it locally shouldn't be any different in this case--in fact, it would be treated like an in-place upgrade.
                                    Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

patio

• Genius
                                    • Maud' Dib
                                      • Yes
                                    « Reply #22 on: December 08, 2008, 08:08:00 AM »
                                    Got it.

chad c

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2008, 05:27:21 PM »
                                      OKay I looked on the comp and I found the I386 folder...  Now what is the process from there?   Remember to you some of this is like riding a bike.. To me its like speaking Korean.. SO please if someone could do a step by step.  I know its alot to ask but it would be helpful..
                                      Thanks Chad

killerb255

Adviser
                                        « Reply #24 on: December 12, 2008, 02:01:42 PM »
                                        Open up the i386 folder you found.

Double-click on winnt32.exe.  That'll start the install (repair).

chad c

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2008, 10:25:37 PM »
                                          KillerB:
                                          Found the file, and clicked on it.  Came back with a Error of 1722.  Problem with installer package?  any more Ideas?

Thanks Chad

killerb255

Adviser
                                            « Reply #26 on: December 13, 2008, 05:29:34 PM »
                                            One of two things:

1) That file is corrupt (and most likely the rest of the i386 directory you found).
                                            or
                                            2) You're running that winnt32 from an environment that doesn't support it (DOS, 64-bit WinPE).

I'm thinking #1 myself, since you're not "double-clicking" anything in DOS, and it's unlikely that you're using 64-bit PE.  If you're running it from inside Windows XP, it should work for an in-place upgrade, but since it's not...definitely #1.

In that case, we could rewind back to Patio's suggestion and borrow Windows XP OEM disc from someone to do your repair-install...

However, after re-reading the thread (which I should have done earlier...DOH!), given the following:

1) The machine has a virus
                                            2) You do not have an XP disc.
                                            3) The i386 folder is accessible, but it may be corrupt. 
                                            4) We don't know if your machine has IE7 or WMP11 on it.

Repair install = BAAAAAAD idea.  Repair-installing a system that's infected with a virus is just asking for trouble (as someone said earlier).  Same goes for repair-installing a system with IE7 or WMP11 on it without uninstalling the two first.

So, keeping that in mind (and knowing that you already backed up your data), you will need to do one of these three options:

1) Borrow a Windows XP OEM disc from someone.  See attachments for what the Home Edition and the Professional Edition OEM discs look like.  Follow these instructions to install XP:

http://tweakhound.com/xp/installxp/installXP1.htm

Use the product key affixed to the side of your computer when asked for one.  Again, check attachments to see what it looks like (the attachment itself DOES NOT have a product key on it!)

2) Purchase an XP OEM disc.  Places like Newegg and Tigerdirect sell them, as well as local computer stores.  Use instructions in Step #1 for installing XP.  It will come with its own product key, so use that instead of the sticker on the PC.

3) Purchase a Vista OEM disc if your computer can handle it.   I would only advise this suggestion if your computer has the following:
                                            - AT LEAST 2 GB of RAM.
                                            - AT LEAST an 80 GB hard drive.  Yes, I know it'll work with a smaller one, but Vista alone takes up 15-20 GB on install...you want room for other stuff, don't you?
                                            - AT LEAST a late Pentium 4, Pentium D, AMD Athlon 64 X2, or similar dual-core processor.

If in doubt, stick with XP on this machine...

[Saving space - attachment deleted by admin]