Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: upgraded graphic card and psu and now I have a flashing light?  (Read 2262 times)

lwind05

Topic Starter

Starter

upgraded graphic card and psu and now I have a flashing light?
    « on: December 12, 2008, 11:02:10 PM »
    Hey everyone im new with computers so try not to be too hard on me.
    Here goes:
    my computer is an older dell Id like to say its a 3.2ghz Pentium 4 HT processor(doesnt seem right but i think thats what it is), 512 mb ram, 40gb hd. I purchased a Visiontek ATI X1300 256mb graphic card for it. After installing it, the computer would get to the start up screen and the screen would go blank. I was told to buy a bigger power supply so I purchased a Rosewill 500 watt off of newegg. I took the old power supply out and put the new one in and the light on the font of my dell flashes as soon as I turn the power on(its a yellow light). It wont turn on...HELP!
    Thanks in advance from a computer noob!

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: upgraded graphic card and psu and now I have a flashing light?
    « Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 12:08:03 AM »
    Welcome to the CH forums.

How can we tell what the flashing yellow light indicates, we don't know which model of Dell you have in order to search for info on the WWW.  If you have any documentation for your pc it will probably explain what a flashing yellow light is indicating.

Did you install a driver for your new graphics card ??? 

Please read http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,33586.0.html

Hope this is not being too hard on you ;D
    One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

lwind05

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 12:26:39 AM »
      nope not to hard at all, thanks! My computer is a dimension 3000, I didnt install a driver yet for the graphics card. I just took the graphic card out to see if it would work or not, it still doesnt. So is there something wrong with my power supply? I think I hooked up all of the 3 or 4 plug ins correctly. Im also running windows xp.
      Thanks Dusty!

Dusty

Egghead

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 01:26:19 AM »
      Your user manual is here.   

The flashing amber indicates a power problem, (see page 26 of the User Manual).  I suggest you recheck the plugups especially the Processor Power Connection J5B1 (see page 53 of the User Manual).  Also, if your psu has an input voltage selector switch check that it's set to your correct mains voltage.

Good luck

lwind05

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 04:51:33 PM »
        Thanks Dusty your the man! I just had the wrong one plugged in. Do I need to download the drivers before I put the graphic card in or install the graphic card then install the drivers?

Dusty

Egghead

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 06:39:16 PM »
        I just had the wrong one plugged in.

Uhuh! Having a blonde day ???

Do I need to download the drivers before I put the graphic card in or install the graphic card then install the drivers?

Did a driver disk not come with the new vid card?  If so the instructions will be in a Readme or Readmefirst type file on the cd.   If not, go to the manufacturer's site and download the driver and instructions.