Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP Service Pack 3 blocks .NET security patches  (Read 4499 times)

Broni

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
XP Service Pack 3 blocks .NET security patches
« on: December 07, 2008, 11:17:30 PM »
HERE

Installing SP3 on Windows XP eliminates the operating system's ability to install important security patches for Microsoft's .NET technology and possibly other software.

This problem forces XP SP3 users to apply patches manually to complete vital updates.

The new error is the latest in a long series of glitches relating to XP's SP3, which Scott Dunn described in his Sept. 11 Top Story. The issues include spontaneous rebooting of systems based on AMD chipsets, as documented by Jesper Johansson in a blog post from last May.

To determine whether your XP SP3 system has a version — or multiple versions — of the .NET Framework installed, open Control Panel's Add or Remove Programs applet and look for it among the list of currently installed programs. If you don't see any .NET entries, you don't have the framework installed on your system and needn't be concerned about the update problem.

If you do see a listing for Microsoft .NET Framework, you need to use a third-party update service such as Secunia's Software Inspector (described below) to patch the program.

More at the above link...

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: XP Service Pack 3 blocks .NET security patches
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 08:24:25 AM »
Nice find. Some additional details. The exact title is "Microsoft .NET Framework x.x" Where x.x is the version of the .NET Framework.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Sheila4467

Greenhorn

Re: XP Service Pack 3 blocks .NET security patches
    « Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 12:06:59 PM »
    So THIS is why, when I open Microsoft Money, it sometimes pops something up, at each and every click! It was making me crazy.

Thank you for the information, I'll check it out right away.