Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer restarting and bsod  (Read 2634 times)

wacked2015

Topic Starter

Rookie

Computer restarting and bsod
    « on: December 13, 2008, 05:29:46 PM »
    Here are my specs:

MSI P7N Diamond LGA 775 Motherboard
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800GTX 512MB

Rosewill RX850-D-B 850W PSU
    Intel Core 2 DUO Quad Q6600 CPU
    Platinum 4GB 240-pin DD2 1066mhz memory
    Seagate 250GB hard drive 3Gb/s

I just built this computer a few days ago and I am running into the problem where 10-45min into a game, any game from World of Warcraft to Supreme Commander, the computer will either restart or I get a bsod. I have installed a new CPU heat sink, tested the temperature of the system(44-46C), CPU(26-32C), and GPU (57-59C) during gameplay and all have not shown any over heating. I have removed my sound card and uninstalled the drivers, uninstalled the video card drivers and reinstalled from a freshly downloaded driver. I have underclocked my computer. I have removed all electronics on the circuit that my tower is plugged into leaving just the tower and the monitor had a cable running across the room to the jack on the other electrical circuit. I have taken the memory out trying different slots, used just 1 stick at a time (I have 2 2GB sticks) swapping them in and out. I recently ran a memtest 86 and it came back all green. I am really at a loss, nobody I know knows what is going on it is defying all reason. Any suggestions as to what it could possibly be? This is a brand new computer with all new parts so I do not have parts I could swap components out with.

EDIT: Also computer just restarted twice with no programs running other than trying to get to this website.
    « Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 06:11:14 PM by wacked2015 »

killerb255

Adviser
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Computer restarting and bsod
      « Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 06:28:28 PM »
      What message do the BSODs say?  It could be a driver problem...
      Quote from: talontromper
      Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 06:45:13 PM »
      Also, what Operating System are you running?

When did this problem start?

wacked2015

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 08:45:45 PM »
        XP 32 bit and the problem has been going on since I first put this computer together.  The errors range from LSO greater than or less than, to t3 .sys (I have a space in between t3 and .sys because I didnt catch the letters in the middle), to Bad Pool Header. 

killerb255

Adviser
          « Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 08:52:51 PM »
          Ah...multiple BSOD messages...that's not good.  It would be nice if we knew the missing blanks in t3____.sys. 

If the BSOD refers to a .sys file, 80% of the time the problem is that particular file.  It's a driver file.  Updating that can solve the problem.  The other 20% of the time, it's an OS problem.  Since it happens during gameplay, that t3_____.sys could be referring to a video driver of some kind.

As for the other BSODs, we could be dealing with bad hardware (like bad RAM). 

Download and install Memtest 86:

http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.4a.iso.zip

Use whatever CD burning program you have to create a CD from the ISO image.

Restart your computer with the CD in the CD-ROM drive.  Memtest 86 should automatically start if your computer is set to boot from the CD-ROM first.  If not, you'll have to go in the BIOS and change the boot order.

Let Memtest 86 run for a while.  If any red appears on the bottom of the screen, you probably have bad (or incompatible, or misconfigured) RAM.
          Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

wacked2015

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 08:54:43 PM »
            Video card drivers are up to date, even uninstalled and installed fresh from the NVIDIA site.  Already ran memtest and it came back all ok, no errors.

killerb255

Adviser
              « Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 09:00:47 PM »
              Do this:

Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced tab -> Settings under "Startup and Recovery" -> uncheck "Automatically restart." 

Now this time, the BSODs should stay up long enough for you to see them. 

wacked2015

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 09:01:46 PM »
                Did that and tried to force the problem to occur, took about an hour but system restarted but no bsod.  Haven't been able to recreate the bsod all day.