Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help with file extensions....  (Read 16495 times)

snowflakeinpa

Need help with file extensions....
« on: May 17, 2004, 12:03:37 PM »
I don't know what's wrong with my computer all of a sudden, but when I am looking for web graphics for my website, and I go to download them...they are always jpg's and gif's....(which is what I want)....they download to my computer hard drive as bmp's.  How can I get the computer to recognize jpg's and gif's again?  :-/
Thanks!!
snowflakeinpa

Joleen

Re: Need help with file extensions....
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 12:20:47 PM »
When you do your 'save as' do you select .gif or .jpg?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 01:37:22 PM »
    snowflakeinpa.......the image you are trying to D/L may in fact be in BMP format......What image software are you using.....You may have to use software to change the format to iether gif or jpg.   If you are having a problem doing that .....Email me the image and I will change it to whatever format you wish .....( Unless as Joleen suggests you simply chose the wrong "Save as "
    format.

hope this helps,

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Janie

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2004, 02:54:47 PM »
    I am having the same exact problem and I don't know what to do!  :-/ But it's not that they are all bmp's, I've tried saving gif's but it only shows up as bmp, and the only thing on the list to choose is bmp. I've tried saveing it as its name.gif, but it still doesn't show up as an animation, it will only show up as a gif, and I don't know what to do cuz it used to work for me, and then all of a sudden I can only get bmp's anymore, and it's not my software, I can view any format on my computer, it's just something wrong with IE or the save as thing, I don't know. Could it possibly be a virus of some sort?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004, 03:23:24 PM »
      Janie.....What operating system is on your machine.....?
      So if you see a animated gif you like .....and you right click and select copy ......take it to your desktop and paste it ......that its in BMP ?

Have you recently updated from M/S ?

let us know...

dl65  ???
      « Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 03:31:59 PM by dl65 »

snowflakeinpa

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2004, 03:39:55 PM »
      Ok, thanks for answering me everyone...I am going to use this 'post' to answer to everyone who wrote.  To Joleen....IF the option was there to save as gif or jpg, I would do it, but my computer is acting like Janie's...the only option I get is bmp's.  To dl65...nope, the images I try to save are not bmp's, the graphic artist has them specified as gif's and jpg's, my computer just won't give them to me that way, just as a bmp.  To Janie...mine is acting exactly the way yours is..even animated gif's will show up, but it won't be animated.  AND, they always first show as bmp's.  You are right about thinking it was a virus, cause I went to McAfee to run a free scan, and they found the  Reg/Seeker virus is in three of my folders or files in the C drive.  I just don't have the money it takes to download their anti virus software or anyone else's till I get some money tomorrow (29th) or the 1st of June. !!!!!  :-[   Thanks to all of you for your help...I appreciate it so much!!!!  snowflakeinpa

Janie

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2004, 03:46:01 PM »
      I have a Dell with Windows XP on it, I've always had XP on it. And I tried going to my desktop and pasting it, but pasting isn't an option.

And to snowflakeinpa.. I don't know what else it could be. I have spybot, ad-aware, and norton antivrus all on my computer, and I have about 14 files with adware that can't be deleted by any of them, so I don't know what to do.  ???

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2004, 06:09:06 PM »
        Hi again ......go here and let symantec security check scan your system ( it will find and remove ) Free.....
        http://www.symantec.com/index.htm  
        scroll down until you see the symantec security check....its on the left ......click on the security link and then run the free online scan .....it should find and remove your bugs......

let us know

dl65  ???

Janie

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2004, 09:14:22 PM »
        Which scan should I run, the security one or the virus one? Or should I run both of them? I started the virus one but it took an hour just to get halfway done and it really slowed my computer down and I have stuff to do, so I'll just try it again over night while I'm sleeping.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2004, 10:33:47 PM »
          ......run the virus scan ...thats the important one ...
          start the scan and let it run until it finished .....dont be doing something else at the same time ...

dl65  ???

Janie

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2004, 06:25:07 PM »
          Ok, well thanks for the help and everything. I didn't run the scan though because I haven't found time to. But I unstalled Mozilla on my computer and now I can save gif's. But I'll figure out how to fix this computer someday, I'm sure.. And thanks for the help, I appreciate it.  :)