Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: should I install Windows 2000?  (Read 4967 times)

bee

should I install Windows 2000?
« on: December 14, 2008, 05:48:28 PM »
I have been using Windows 98 for several years but have recently acquired devices that are not compatible with it.  If I decide to install Windows 2000 what kind of problems am I likely to experience?  Will I lose information or will some of my "stuff" not work anymore?  Mainly I use my computer for email and PC games (some on line, some just through software) and general information look up on the internet.  I'd really appreciate any thoughts about Windows 2000 and advice on the best way to proceed before I decide to install it.  Thanks!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: should I install Windows 2000?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 08:31:57 PM »
I haven't gone from windows 98 to 2000, but I did go from 98SE to XP, which is fairly similar. I've only done clean installs of Windows 2000, though.

First- Windows 2000 includes the ability to in-place upgrade windows 95,98, and NT computers; if you went with that option, you probably wouldn't lose any settings/programs (unforeseen circumstances notwithstanding)

I personally was concerned when I upgraded to XP about my game performance; I don't think it was affected adversely, but I believe I did notice an impact (mostly that I needed to find a 3rd party patch for Need for speed :))

Otherwise, it should be a fairly smooth transition.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 11:01:45 PM »
bee
Post some computer info, and we'll see, if it'll run 2000 OK. Windows 2000 is one of the best operating systems ever made by M$ - very stable.
Also, I'm always for clean install, not upgrade.

chuchu61190

Beginner

• Go Spurs
    « Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 11:05:16 PM »
    Its always good to get a better operating system
    your Windows 98 isnt outdated yet but there are some programs that are not compatible with it
    Windows 2000 or XP wouldnt be a bad decision

Fordtruckmaniac

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 02:42:45 AM »
    I've put 2000 in a few older Windows 98 machines, 1 Windows ME, not really any problems. It seems maybe I had to do a bios update on one old HP machine.

Found all the drivers without too much pain. Of course the 2000 OS installed a few.

Like Broni said the clean install is the way to go, and more info on your machine.
     Fordtruckmaniac