Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to remove Millennium and replace with Windows98SE  (Read 4282 times)

swagster38

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

How to remove Millennium and replace with Windows98SE
    « on: December 15, 2008, 09:02:52 PM »
    The Gateway I have is a Millennium2000 an older 1 and the system i want to put in it is a Windows98SE, I have the startup disk for the Windows98SE, but I need a disk to take Millennium, out I think and I don't have that one, is there a way to do that with out that disk?

Shark Fin 101

Rookie

Re: How to remove Millennium and replace with Windows98SE
      « Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »
      If the following doesn't work, then your disc probably isn't bootable and/or not the OS itself.

Step-by-step:

1. Be sure you don't mind everything on the computer suddenly disappearing. Because it will.

2. Make sure you're fine with no. 1.

3. Same.

4. Place the cd in the drive while the computer is turned off. You may have to open it before you shut the computer down.

5. Turn on the computer, and if your BIOS is set correctly, and the cd is an actual install cd, you can follow the prompts to wiping the hard drive clean and installing 98SE.

Poof! W98 installed. No deinstaller disc necessary for your previous OS.

Nihil sine Deo,
      Sharkfin

P.S. I'd also make sure that either (1) you never want to go back to 2000, or (2) you have restore discs for the computer.

P.P.S. Not to be repetitive, but I'd really, really make sure that you're fine with everything on the computer suddenly disappearing.

swagster38

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: How to remove Millennium and replace with Windows98SE
        « Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 10:18:36 AM »
        Tyvm, i'm going to get started on it and i will let you know how it come's out for me.

swagster38