Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Firefox is slow......... Konquerer instead?  (Read 3576 times)

Shark Fin 101

Topic Starter

Rookie

Firefox is slow......... Konquerer instead?
    « on: December 15, 2008, 05:28:23 PM »
    Hi all,

I just timed my computer shutting down FireFox with three tabs open. It took ten minutes.

I take it this should not happen?

Anyway, my computer is a Fujitsu Lifebook S6120, 1.2Ghz proc, 256 mb RAM and a 4.3gb hard drive. I have xunbuntu installed.

Ever since I installed this, it has never been nearly as fast as the previous install of Windows 2000 (the hard drive, unfortunately, crashed, and I did not have restore cds), and yet, xunbuntu is supposed to be one of the smallest distros of Linux out there.

Is this the same old memory hog problem FF has been battling for years?

Would Konquerer work better? I have the same problem with OpenOffice, but the native Gnumeric Spreadsheets and AbiWord processor work no sweat. Would Konquerer be the same deal?

Thanks!

(P.S. As you can probably tell from my terminology, I'm no Linux genius, but I do know a few basic commands)

(P.S. I posted this in this category because I thought it might be more suited to a browser expert.... please move it if you think otherwise)

Shark Fin 101

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Firefox is slow......... Konquerer instead?
      « Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 04:56:51 PM »
      Not to bump, but I've noticed Flash does it a lot. Big clunky sites like eBay slow it down tremendously as well.

Anyone?

Raptor

Re: Firefox is slow......... Konquerer instead?
      « Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 05:05:30 PM »
      Why not try Portable Firefox? It says you can run it with Wine under Linux.