Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: reinstall xp -no driversfor hardware  (Read 3559 times)

cd3707

Topic Starter

reinstall xp -no driversfor hardware
    « on: December 22, 2008, 08:53:03 PM »
    Hi there, I am helping my dad over the phone (lives in another state) with compaq laptop he bought for $100.  System not too bad- got a trojan- we did a wipe and reinstalled xp - no sign of trojan but now syst says drivers not installed for the basic hardware...like modem, usb, video controller etc. But we have no history on this computer so how do I get the drivers? Can't get it on the internet because modem driver not installed, so can't do a search in device manager.

Any help appreciated!!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: reinstall xp -no driversfor hardware
    « Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 10:15:54 PM »
    DLoad; install and run Everest Home...
    It will tell you far more than you need to know about what's in that machine...
    I'd start with the chipset drivers...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

wareupdater

Starter

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 10:45:21 PM »
      HP will give you all the driver you need... just be careful of what you download. :)
      another idea is to have an screenshot of your device manager so you have the reference of what you need to install.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 12:59:01 AM »
      Everyone wants to use some "special" software to do the simple fundamental things...I don't get it...CRAPWARE BE GONE...been doing it for 41 years and the simple fundamental solutions are usually more correct..., goto the source get the info...done...IMO

Because Patio didn't notice it was a HP so he recommended the best next step?
      And since when is Everest crapware? It's a well renowned diagnostic and benchmarking program.

Wouldn't want to argue someone who's been visiting the HP website for over 41 years, though. LOL
      People just have no respect for the elderly anymore...

I could go on and on but here's one more; in case someone's NOT dealing with a HP laptop, it will come in handy to know that they do not need the manufacturers web page per se to get drivers.

It's time for you walk through the park now, paps.

Dias de verano

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 03:04:48 AM »
      fgdn17, as somebody who has got more posts under his belt than you have on here, can I offer you a  couple of bits of advice?

Can the attitude. Your last post is borderline.

Don't get in pointless arguments with dumb kids about who is right and who is wrong. Especially that p***k Raptor.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 08:09:28 AM »
      The program was suggested because it works on all machines....who knows maybe the next one he needs the info from will NOT be an HP....
      Have a Nice Day.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

cd3707

Topic Starter

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 08:11:15 AM »
        get the model of his computer, goto HP site and put in model ie. compaq 2783 or whatever it is, goto download drivers, download them to your machine, burn a CD, send to your dad, have him install them and start from there...

Good Luck

Thanks fgdn17 - I didn't even think of that!  I will try this first and let you know how it goes. I think me sending him a cd is the best option- cuz he has no clue about computers, he just uses it to play on the internet. Thanks so much!