Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Question About 0+1 or 1+0 Raid  (Read 2324 times)

johny30238

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Question About 0+1 or 1+0 Raid
    « on: December 25, 2008, 08:26:27 AM »
    I am thinking of Running a Raid on my System. I have never done one before but I know its not complex. My question is, which setup should i go with a 0+1 or 1+0 Raid. Main reason I wont go with a Raid 1 because, I want to insure I do not loose data just in case of failure. But At the same time I looking for a increase in performance.
    « Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 08:47:55 AM by johny30238 »

Raptor

Re: Question About 0+1 or 1+0 Raid
    « Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 02:11:47 PM »
    Homework; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID. The little chart halfway through should tell you what you want to know.

All hard disks are prone to failure. Your best bet is to Copy it to a CD/DVD. Twice. Store each disk in a nuclear shelter on both sides of the equator.

Ok, then there's the problem that DVDs might not hold data forever. So make sure those bunkers come with a statis field.

johny30238

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 01:24:51 PM »
      I know the general definition for both Raid setups already, what I am really asking (please excuse me for not clarifying what I am asking )   I want someone with knowledge using Raids, because I am looking for someone  that has hands on experience with both raid 10 And 0+1 to tell me which raid gives overall better performance. 

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 02:14:07 PM »
      How many hard drives do you have?  Raid 0+1 or 1+0 require a minimum of 4 disks.  If you're comparing Raid 0 vs. Raid 1, then I believe Raid 0 gives yields the best overall performance improvement, per http://m-techlaptops.com/raid.htm.  But, Raid 1 also has a performance advantage over single, i.e. non-Raid, drive systems because it has Twice the Read transaction rate of single disks, but same Write transaction rate as single disks.

johny30238

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 02:18:09 PM »
        Well I am concerned about having a complete Updated backup of my data that is why i narrowed my choices to 10 or 0+1 , And yes I am going to be purchasing 4 Seagate 250 GB Drives 

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 02:33:15 PM »
        Be sure to read the section on Nested levels in the link Raptor posted.  I think the facts there will be your basis for deciding.