Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: One major one minor problem  (Read 6922 times)

Drackaer

One major one minor problem
« on: March 19, 2004, 08:00:41 AM »
I have two problems, one very minor, that my monitor, it is about 6 years old and never has shown problems before, but lately the display is 'shaky' as if I look closely it shakes and it is a bit blury, at least until I enter a game or something.
The rest of my computer is fairly new, but I have a problem, every so often, like if the computer is on for a while, I find that it freezes and nothing, but maybe the mouse will move, until I execute a command, that requires the hard drive or CD-RW Drive. It makes a strange noise before hand, and sometimes it does this on the boot-up screen (I run win XP) the noise sounds like it is turning itself off but then it restarts immediately and nothing happens except that it freezes, I suspect my powersupply may be overloaded or some other similar problem, there is no problem as long as I save every 10 minutes I never lose much, I can live with it, but I would rather not.
Thank you for your help :)

Drackaer

Re: One major one minor problem
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 08:05:00 AM »
Another small problem with the monitor, (sorry for the double post but it would not let me modify ;) ) occasionally ( and this hasn't happened for a while) the screen will kind of 'blink' as in three or four black lines appear and start flickering then go away, last about 1-3 secs, and the speaker kind of blips at the same time.

MetalMilitia

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2004, 08:37:27 AM »
Get a new monitor. That thing doesnt sound good for your eyes.

Ed B.

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004, 12:53:21 PM »
My best guess (and those guesses tend to be pretty good)

Is maybe.. just maybe..
your hard drive is turning off..
I get this weird *click* noise in my newbie days (back in the day) and i always thought it was something wrong w/ the power supply... but anyways, getting back to the topic..

Yea, maybe its just your HD shutting off
You can control this through Windows 9x and XP by going to Start> Control Panel> Power Options> And change Turn Off Hard Disks: to whatever time seems reasonable (for me, its NEVER, because i never leave my computer idle, i suspend it or shut it down... need every penny saved on my energy bill ;-) )

But thats just my take on it.
I may be wrong.
And if i am, feel free to critisize me, it'll better prepare me for the harsh reality of... well.. reality.

Anyways, good luck,
Ed

Drackaer

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 04:44:04 AM »
Yeah I need a new monitor, I will get one soon.
But also the HD was shutting off. But the problem was with the connections, something was not ocnnected right so that had a power surge or something to that effect. So now I changed the connections around a bit and the problem is solved thank you :)