Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: limited or no connectivity on XP after reset, but not on Vista  (Read 7674 times)

daniel1212

Topic Starter

Beginner

limited or no connectivity on XP after reset, but not on Vista
    « on: December 24, 2008, 08:33:35 PM »
    Hi. I dual boot XP and Vista on a Del E520, 3.06ghz cpu and 2.5gb ram. I am connected to Verizon DSL using a Westell 6100 modem to connect to a  Intel  82562v integrate card. This has the latest drivers (9.8.20.0) i know of.  The problem is that if i lose my connection, which sometimes happens after Windows gets done downloading an update,  then i get the "limited or no connectivity" notice, and in which case it is the latter. Turning off the modem and restarting it will not work (same error), and even if i restart the modem when i have a good connection then it results in  no connection.  If i reboot the PC all is fine, and under Vista this never happens. I have been on the phone with Verizon in India, and reset the modem, then typed in the IP address etc. on the browser, but that did not work, and doing a command prompt ipconfig showed i had no connection.

I then installed the Winsock fix that has worked for others, but if i turn off the modem and turn it on the same thing happens

As Vista does  not have this problem, i surmise it is an issue that is either peculiar to my PC or with XP which Vista fixed.

I choose Diagnose Problems in IE, and it tried to reset the IP address and fix things, and below is the text of it:

Last diagnostic run time: 12/24/08 20:22:07 IP Configuration Diagnostic
    Invalid IP address

info AutoNet address detected: 169.254.11.112
    action Automated repair: Renew IP address
    action Releasing the current IP address...
    action Successfully released the current IP address
    action Renewing the IP address...
    error Error renewing the IP address: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions. 
    info AutoNet address detected: 169.254.18.126
    action Automated repair: Reset network connection
    action Disabling the network adapter
    action Enabling the network adapter
    info Network adapter successfully enabled
    info AutoNet address detected: 169.254.44.216
    action Manual repair: Reboot modem
    info AutoNet address detected: 169.254.44.216
    error Error renewing the IP address: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions. 
    info AutoNet address detected: 169.254.118.151
    info Waiting some time for the modem/router to stabilize
    info AutoNet address detected: 169.254.231.49
    info AutoNet address detected: 169.254.63.109
    info AutoNet address detected: 169.254.82.130
    info AutoNet address detected: 169.254.185.55
    info AutoNet address detected: 169.254.182.179
    info Redirecting user to support call

Wireless Diagnostic
    Wireless - Service disabled

Wireless - User SSID

Wireless - First time setup

Wireless - Radio off

Wireless - Out of range

Wireless - Hardware issue

Wireless - Novice user

Wireless - Ad-hoc network

Wireless - Less preferred

Wireless - 802.1x enabled

Wireless - Configuration mismatch

Wireless - Low SNR

WinSock Diagnostic
    WinSock status

info All base service provider entries are present in the Winsock catalog.
    info The Winsock Service provider chains are valid.
    info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
    info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
    error Provider entry RSVP UDP Service Provider could not perform simple loopback communication. Error 10091.
    error Provider entry RSVP TCP Service Provider could not perform simple loopback communication. Error 10091.
    error A connectivity problem exists with a base winsock provider.

Network Adapter Diagnostic
    Network location detection

info Using home Internet connection
    Network adapter identification

info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=Intel(R) 82562V 10/100 Network Connection, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
    info Ethernet connection selected
    Network adapter status

info Network connection status: Connected

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
    HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved 
    warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved 
    warn FTP (Passive): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved 
    warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.hotmail.com: The server name or address could not be resolved 
    warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.passport.net: The server name or address could not be resolved 
    warn FTP (Active): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved 
    error Could not make an HTTP connection.
    error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
    error Could not make an FTP connection.

Any helpful advice is welcome, thanks.
    « Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 08:44:26 AM by daniel1212 »
    Grace and peace through Jesus

drivenbywhat

Beginner

Re: limited or no connectivity on XP after rest, but not on Vista
      « Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 07:15:35 AM »
      Sounds like your tcp/ip protocol is corrupted. There are only a few reasons why you would get limited or no connectivity (bad cable, modem/router is off & a few others) and since you don't get this error with vista it leads me to believe there's corruption. As you can see from your logs when it tries to renew the address it gives you an ip starting with 169. That number tells you that your pc is having trouble acquiring a "good" ip, which for you probably starts with 192. There are 3 things you can do. I don't know your level of expertise but I'm not going to spell out each thing so if you need further guidance just ask:

1 - set a static ip address that way you won't have to worry about losing the ip
      2 - remove & reinstall the tcp/ip protocol (you will probably need your windows cd)
      3 - follow the following links to fix your protocol:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299357

resetting winsock
      If you think the number of posts you have coincides with your status you are wrong. If you put guru under experience you are a noob. If your post doesn't help the requester and only starts a flame war think before replying. If you are moderator and contribute to these things you should have your privileges revoked.

daniel1212

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: limited or no connectivity on XP after reset, but not on Vista
        « Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 08:34:13 AM »
        Well, after trying the below to no avail (though it would freeze up when applying a new static ip) i used a  3com 3C905b card i had from  an old pc and now the problem is fixed!  Praise the Lord :)
        Grace and peace through Jesus