Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: tv tuner card  (Read 3048 times)

maryhigginsrice

Topic Starter

Rookie

tv tuner card
    « on: December 27, 2008, 02:55:59 PM »
    Happy Holidays Everyone.  I have been having a difficult time with a TV tuner card I purchased from dell.  It is a Hauppauge WinTv-HVR-1250 card.
    It claims to receive 125+ channels, but I cannot receive channels beyond 100.  I would like to get some of the extended basic channels that Comcast has to offer.  I installed the card into the PC; attached the cable from the wall into the card; and Windows recognizes it.  I did the TV setup in Media Center, but I cannot get the remote to work with media center.  I have tried numerous times, but I will not change the channel.  My TV stays on channel 4 and the switching of the channels is controlled by a settop box.  The settop box has a IR Blaster and emitter sitting on it.  Obviously I am doing something wrong.  Did I buy the wrong TV tuner card?  Is my configuration and setup in media center incorrect?  Any assistance will be appreciated.  maryhigginsrice

fgdn17

Hopeful

Re: tv tuner card
      « Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 04:07:50 PM »
      you plugged it in from the wall...is that wall connection from your cable set-top box supplied by your cable provider??? If yes you need to be on channel 3.....

from the specs:

"If you have a digital cable set-top box or a satellite box, the WinTV-HVR-1250 can connect via either channel 3, Composite or S-Video inputs."

check your manual/specs and your setup...

Good Luck

maryhigginsrice

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 07:14:10 PM »
        Thank you for answering my post, fgdn17.  I do have a digital dvr from comcast cable.  I need to record show on my computer because of conflicting time slots.  I have set my stb to channel three, but the media remote control will not change the channels. I have researched other forums and no seems to have the answer.  maryhigginsrice

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 02:50:23 PM »
          you got your answer in one of the other forums where you posted:

re:

You can not get the remote control which came with the HVR-1250 to work with Media Center. Response: Have you seen this from Happauge?:
          http://www.hauppauge.com/site/produ...
          If you look down this web page to the "Notes" section, it says that the enclosed remote control isn't "MCE certified" and won't "replace the Media Center remote control". You may be expecting it to work in ways that it is not capable of working. Also in those "Notes" is the statement that you have to use something called Hauppauge WinTV V6 application to view QAM channels (that's cable TV). That might also be some of your problem in tuning channels.

maryhigginsrice

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 03:01:46 PM »
            fgdn17, I am using the Window XP media center remote.  Thank you for your help, but I solved the problem myself.  Bye maryhigginsrice.