Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Audio card  (Read 1825 times)

donaldhere

Topic Starter

Rookie

Audio card
    « on: December 29, 2008, 11:43:45 PM »
    I have a motherboard with built in audio. It however lacks two outputs for front and rear speakers for my speaker system. I decided to install a sound blaster live card which has the necessary outputs. Installation went fine, connections are correct, and windows (XP) tells me everything is working fine but alas, no sound. Can you think of anything I am overlooking or will my motherboard just not allow me to use a sound card?

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Audio card
    « Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 11:47:02 PM »
    any errors in device manager?
    Does the onboard still work with the new sound card installed? If so, then you may need to disable the onboard in BIOS.
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

donaldhere

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 11:50:50 PM »
      No errors in the device manager. The onboard does not work with the new sound card installed. DM lists the creative board with the latest windows drivers. But I never thought of going into the bios to disable the onboard audio. Does that normally have to be done? I've not ever heard of that.

JJ 3000

Egghead
      « Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 11:59:34 PM »
      The new card should disable the onboard when you plug it in, so that's probably not your problem.
      you did run the drivers disk that came with the card right?
      Are you sure they are XP drivers?
      Have you checked the manufacturers website for updated drivers?
      Do you have another computer that you can test that card in? The card may just be DOA.
      Do you have another set of speakers you can try?
      Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.

donaldhere

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 12:08:04 AM »
        No I let windows install its drivers. I have been on line for a while researching the drivers (even though I have the disk) and all the recommendations were to use the windows drivers. Maybe they were wrong. I will try that next. I am afraid, however, they may not be xp drivers on the old disk. Speakers are AOK. And lastly, no, I can't swear the board may not be Dead, you might be right! Well then, now I have some ideas to take different approaches to solving the problem. I thank you very much JJ and in the morning I will try again and let you know what the problem was if indeed we have solved it. You've been a great help! Good night

JJ 3000

Egghead
        « Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 12:13:38 AM »
        Always use the manufacturers drivers when installing a new card. Make sure they are written for your operating system. Does the disk say it is compatible with XP? Check the card manufacturers website for xp drivers if not.
        Save a Life!
        Adopt a homeless pet.

donaldhere

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 12:19:33 AM »
          Creative no longer has the drivers. I will search for them elsewhere on line. The card appears to be from 1999. Maybe I'm just playing with too old of a card but again, maybe not. But I will start there. Thanks again!