Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2 video card setup  (Read 3650 times)

Fantom20XX

2 video card setup
« on: April 11, 2005, 10:55:23 PM »
dose any one know how or if it is possible to setup 2 video cards in your computer to give it more video power?

i saw somewere somthing about that supject but cant find it agin anyone have any ideas?

thanks

rs8389

Re: 2 video card setup
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 11:16:32 PM »
Ok, first off...  It is indeed possible to setup two video cards in your computer.  But as far as I know, it is not possible to use those two video cards to "give it more video power".  The only way that two video cards can be used is for multi-screen display (Using more than one monitor to show the screen on your computer).

Hope that helped!

Redeyes_Gambit

Re: 2 video card setup
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 01:08:29 PM »
Actualy it is possible to have two cards working at the same time (with not quite 2x the power from what I've heard but close)! However you can't just grab another graphics card and slap it in your PC. You have to have a mobo with either something called SLI (Scaleable Link Interface) or a speciel alienware machine wich uses their own proprietay SLI-ish, but better, setup known as video array (see adress below). Also the SLI mobos only come in the new PCI express flavor (aka PCI E) and it splits the single pci express 16x speed into two pci x8 channels (probly not the right word but hey :) ).

In addition you MUST have two of the EXACT SAME card (same chipset, model and from the same board manufacturer) and with PCI E cards so pricy right now your talking lots o' $$$. THEN add the quite pricy SLI mobo on top of that and you've got one expensive machine.

Heres a link to where you can see a SLI mobo or two:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?cat=13&keywords=SLI%20SLI&noredirect=1

and here is alienware's machine with their proprietary twin graphics card ability, video array. (FYI they make SLI based machines too):

http://www.alienware.com/ALX_pages/main_content.aspx

« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 01:09:39 PM by Redeyes_Gambit »