Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: what is the safest online connection? Cable line or dial-up?  (Read 10841 times)

Vonique

Topic Starter

Rookie

what is the safest online connection? Cable line or dial-up?
    « on: January 09, 2009, 04:25:14 AM »
    Hello. I recently started doing online banking and I'm worried about security. I have a cable high-speed but also have another computer with dial-up. I was told once that the dial-up is safer because it's going through a phone line so I'm reluctant to get rid of it and start using the high-speed. Which is the safest method of connection to avoid hackers?

Thanks, Von

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: what is the safest online connection? Cable line or dial-up?
    « Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 05:24:23 AM »
    Dial-up is considered safer simply because everytime you connect, the ISP gives you another IP address. So, imagining that a Hacker that wanted to break into your computer was like a stalker, it's a lot easier to find you when your staying in one place rather then moving to a new house every week ;)

With proper security and Ant-Virus software, however, such things become a non-issue. What Anti-Virus software have you installed?
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 09:26:09 AM »
    Are you paying for two Internet services?  When I was using Earthlink as my ISP, I could connect either via DSL or dialup to my Earthlink account.  In such a case, you could use dialup for banking if you want, but I would not pay for a separate dialup service just for banking. 

As BC_Programmer said, with proper security measures, you should not worry.  That includes a firewall, of course,  You should have at least SP2 if using Win XP, and keep your browser updated also.  If you're using IE 6, i suggest you upgrade to IE7, or the latest version of Firefox.   

michaewlewis

Intermediate
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 12:21:21 PM »
    the safest internet connection is SSL. When you're doing your online banking make sure that there is an https in front of the web address instead of just an http, and you'll be fine. You can also check the certificates on secure web pages to make sure they're safe.
    If a website is using SSL, that means all data is being encrypted, and third parties cannot view your data enroute.
    Also, make sure you have your virus definitions up to date to make sure you have no malware installed on your computer that can track personal information entered on a website.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 01:15:28 PM »
    SSL isn't a Connection Method, it's "Secure Sockets layer", and is implemented by web servers.

One would still need to have a Internet Connection provided by Dial-up, ISDN, Cable, or DSL etc.

EDIT: although it is important to note, since any reputable vendor will use SSL.
    « Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 01:35:15 PM by BC_Programmer »
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 01:33:23 PM »
    the safest internet connection is SSL. When you're doing your online banking make sure that there is an https in front of the web address instead of just an http, and you'll be fine. You can also check the certificates on secure web pages to make sure they're safe.
    If a website is using SSL, that means all data is being encrypted, and third parties cannot view your data enroute.
    Good point.  Internet users should know how to recognize when their web browser is in secure mode, i.e. using SSL.  All financial transactions on the Web, whether banking, credit cards, investments (stocks, mutual funds, etc.), and all online buying activity should only be done with SSL enabled-websites, as indicated by https vs. http, and the lock icon in the lower right corner of the browser being in locked mode.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 01:38:44 PM »
    The safest is unplugged unfortunately...any type of connection can be hacked.
    However if you practice safe surfing and common sense along with a decent software firewall and a router you have nothing to worry about.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

michaewlewis

Intermediate
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 01:38:52 PM »
    I stand corrected. What I meant was that dialup vs broadband is sort of irrevelent, since either can be hacked fairly easily and are both relatively insecure. However, when using a website using SSL, you don't have to worry about the data being read, diverted or tracked. (assuming there is no spyware on the computer itself)
    I would even feel comfortable doing online banking via SSL on a public network as long as I'm using my own laptop and don't have to install any software to use the network.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 01:52:40 PM »
    what is the safest online connection? Cable line or dial-up?
    No right answer. The question has a wrong presumption.
    Internet security has never been an issue of how you get into your local server.
    That is like asking is it safer to walk alone in a dark hostile war zone using tennis shoes or regular boots.  :P

Vonique

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 03:17:50 PM »
      I am using CA Internet Security Suite because it is free with my ISP. I'm just concerned because I keep hearing about identity theft and "war driving" by hackers who may be able to break into my wireless home network. I am using a Linksys network adaptor with WEP encryption which I know is no good, but I don't know what else to use.

Regarding:

"However if you practice safe surfing and common sense along with a decent software firewall and a router you have nothing to worry about."

I  try to practice safe surfing and common sense, do have a firewall and router, but  if the above is true, then why are all these folks getting hacked and suffering from identity theft and all the associated troubles? I know there are other ways to get your identity stolen, but I would love to know how common it is for a wireless network to get broken into and had bank numbers stolen, etc.

Thanks, Von

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 03:44:14 PM »
      Have you tried setting up WPA security for your wireless connection?

Vonique

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 05:50:49 PM »
        How do I do that? Is it difficult?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 06:23:27 PM »
        "However if you practice safe surfing and common sense along with a decent software firewall and a router you have nothing to worry about."
        That is wrong!
        Some Greek philosopher once said:
        "All general statements are false,
        including this one."

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 06:26:34 PM »
        How do I do that? Is it difficult?
        You have a wireless router, right?  What model is it?

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 06:28:22 PM »
        That is wrong!

Elaborate, please.  If you think it's wrong, state why.