Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I want to learn some stuffs on computings after my exam..  (Read 2814 times)

lukmander

Topic Starter

Rookie

• I HATE ANIMAL KILLERS!!!
    I want to learn some stuffs on computings after my exam..
    « on: January 12, 2009, 09:37:52 AM »
    i just finished the biggest exam of my teen years... this is the time when students make decisions for their "next big step' in life...

Im free until my results come out, so is there any place where i can sign up for some courses on computing online(preferably free)? Something that i can make my minor... or anybody can be my mentor for 6 months?

In advance, im totally dedicated to whatever studying and homework i get and ill read up on anything that is required.. I do have a little (only a little) niches of expertise here and there but just take me as a NOOB (newbie).

Any field of computing is okay...

;D

<IM SORRY, I WANTED TO POST THIS IN THE OTHER SECTIONS BUT I GOT ALL MIXED UP>
    « Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 09:57:54 AM by lukmander »

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: I want to learn some stuffs on computings after my exam..
    « Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 12:26:09 PM »
    Glad you are interested in the computer science field as a career path. There is so much to the field that any suggestions as to what you would like to learn or achieve in knowledge may be beneficial to all who may be willing to assist you here.

Here are some ideas:

Computer Programming
    Computer Hardware
    Computer Networking
    Computer Graphic Modelling ( For Textures etc for Games etc )
    and on and on...so many possibilities

Easiest being DOS and Basic Programming Skills...Others require hardware and software to learn it all that will cost you money. DOS can be interacted with simply by going to command shell and having fun, while computer programming will require a compiler. Microsoft Currently has free downloads for its Visual C++, C#, and Visual Basic 2008 Express Editions which can be used for learning how to program in modern day common languages. There is also an abundance of free information on the net for programming.

As far as FREE Courses per-se for this field. I have seen some unmentored training material scattered in chapters with tests etc where you test yourself, but havent seen any that are free and a mentor examines your work and assists. Most that I have seen that are free have forums to post issues to liek computerhope where the community helps each other out.

A very low cost online college like setting that I have used in the past is Virtual University. For $20 you can take 1 to 3 courses per semester. I have taken Java Script, HTML, and Perl Programming there for the cost of $20 a semester. There are instructors designated to each course and they are really good at helping you out.

You will however have to be able to read and understand the information provided vs having an instructor show how it all works so it will be generally harder for some to learn without the hands on and instructor looking over your shoulder. But if you can read , follow directions, and ask questions when lost or unsure, you will be fine. The other requirement is time. The more time you dedicate to the study the more you will retain and the stronger your strengths will be. If computer programming its best to perform activities that will operate if typed in correct syntax, and then restructure them to your own flavor of what is to happen to understand them better.

Hope this helps..

Dave