Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: config_list_failed BSoD, unable to boot to windows or boot from install disk!  (Read 31119 times)

joshwent

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Here goes my (sorry if it's too) detailed description:

I was watching a video on-line and suddenly a bunch of windows started popping up for some kind of (most likely) fake registry/anti-virus software.  I tried to close all of the pop-ups and stupidly must have clicked the wrong thing on one because a program began to download.

I shut the computer down, and when I tried to normally boot up, the computer shut down.  I was able to boot up in safe mode, but it (some kinda virus) kept shutting the windows firewall off so that I had to constantly re-enable it.  An alert also popped up every time I booted up in safe mode saying something like "explorer cannot find ***, please run chkdsk".  (I'm sorry I can't remember exactly what it said!)  When I ran chkdsk it said that were errors found but it did not fix them.  Arg!

The day after doing all of this, I tried to boot up in safe mode again, and I got the BSoD.  I get the same message whether I try to boot normally, in safe mode, or any of the other safe options.  This is it:
    -----------------------------
    a problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

CONFIG_LIST_FAILED   If this is the first time you have seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer.  If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.  If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software.  Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.  If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced start-up options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

***Stop: 0x00000073 (0x00000001,0xC000017D,0x00000004,0xBAF82BB8)
    ---------------------------------------

I have read many other posts that suggest repairing from the Windows Install CD, but when I try to boot from the CD it says this:

"Floppy diskette seek failure
    Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility"

When I hit F1 is says:

"Selected boot device not available
    Strike the F1 key to retry, F2 to run setup"

and if I keep hitting F1 it gives me the same message.

Everything in the BIOS looks normal although in the boot section next to "Floppy Drive" and "Hard Disk" it says "(not available)".  The other two things listed in the boot section, "CD-DVD Drive" and "Intel Array" have nothing next to them, but they are all activated in the boot.

Here is my system info:

Dell Dimension E520
    System = Dell DM061
    BIOS Version = 2.3.2
    Intel Core 2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13 GHz
    Installed Memory = 4 GB
    Hard drive = 320 GB

I have also read that the 0xC000017D in the error report implies that there is too little room on the hard drive, but although it is pretty full there was about 2GB free.

I was also running AVG free with full system scans every day.

Thanks for reading this novel and even more thanks for any help you folks can give me!!!

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    CONFIG_LIST_FAILED usually means lack of RAM, or disk space is extremely low.
    You have a lot of RAM. Do you think, it's possible, you're running out of space on HD?
    320GB is a lot.

joshwent

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I believe the C drive had about 2 Gigs left, but since I can't get into windows I'm not sure.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      That's 99% your issue. Windows needs at least 15-20% of a free space to run properly (48 gig in your case)
      See here: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/config-list-failed-t139680.html&p=843897, post #5, how to use DOS bootdisk to free some space.

joshwent

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Thanks a ton!  I actually don't have a floppy drive even though my BIOS says I do.  I'll try this on a CD and hopefully the computer will be able to boot from it...

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        Yeah, you can use any bootable CD, like...
        Download Windows Recovery Console: http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso
        Download, and install free Imgburn: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
        Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD.
        Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
        When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
        You will be at a command prompt window.

joshwent

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

So after some tinkering...

I got into DOS and freed up a whole ton of space.  I have about 30 megs free on C:\.  Still, when I try to boot normally, or in all of the safe modes, I get the same BSoD that I posted above!

An above reply said that windows would like 48 gigs free, but isn't that a ton of unused space?

The other side to this problem is that my hard drive is partitioned.  There are the main files on the C:\ partition, a tiny (a few KBs) D:\ partition, and the majority of the 320 gigs worth of files on the E:\ partition.

Unfortunately, I cannot get to E:\ through DOS, so I may not even be able to free up 48 gigs to make windows comfy.

Also, I have tried to run CHKDSK in DOS to see if it finds any disk errors, but even with 30+ gigs free, it says "insufficient memory to execute CHKDSK".

I think this problem may have more to it than just low memory.

Arg!

P.S. Thanks so much for all of the advice so far!!!

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          Space on E partition doesn't matter. It matters only on Windows partition (C).

Boot from that RC CD again...
          Then, follow the steps from here: http://icrontic.com/articles/repair_windows_xp, starting below this picture on page 1:

joshwent

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

When I boot using the RC CD it Shows a blue screen that says "windows setup" in the top left and says that a bunch of things are loading on the bottom of the screen.

Before it ever gets to that "Welcome to Setup" screen I get another BSoD.  It shows the errors:

STOP 0x0000007B (0xF78DA63C,0x0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Since I can't get into the recovery console, I won't be able to rebuild boot.ini

Any other ideas?

Thanks!!!

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum

joshwent

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I tested the hard drive.  No errors came up so the hardware seems fine.

At this point, I don't really care about saving any of the files.  I just want to be able to use the computer again.

However, I don't know how to re-install windows when the BIoS won't boot from the XP Disk!

Any tips on formatting a hard drive?

Thanks!!!
              « Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 05:58:26 PM by joshwent »

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              When this shows up:
              Strike the F1 key to retry, F2 to run setup
              Press F2 to enter BIOS.
              Check boot order. Make sure, CD drive is listed first.

joshwent

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

The CD Drive is first on the boot list.  When I turn on the computer, after the dell start screen this comes up:

FLOPPY DISKETTE SEEK FAILURE
                STRIKE THE F1 KEY TO CONTINUE, F2 TO RUN THE SETUP UTILITY

That's fine, but when I hit F1 it says:

SELECTED BOOT DEVICE NOT AVAILABLE
                STRIKE F1 TO CONTINUE, F2 TO RUN SETUP

NO!!!

The same message appears when I hit F12 and make the computer boot from the CD Drive.

The strange thing is that the computer will boot from the Dell Resource CD, just not the XP CD.

Again, thanks for any help!!!

Broni

Mastermind
                  • Computer Help Forum
                Something wrong with that XP CD, I guess.
                Try to clean it, try it on another computer.

joshwent

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I have 2 identical (except for the serial# of course) XP CDs.  I have cleaned them both, and they still give me the same message.

At this point, I'd be happy formatting the drive and re-installing XP, but I don't know if that can be done from DOS.

Broni

Mastermind
                    • Computer Help Forum
                  I have 2 identical (except for the serial# of course) XP CDs
                  Windows CDs don't have any serials.
                  Where did those CDs come from?