Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Maxtor External Drive USB problem  (Read 4098 times)

mike453683

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Maxtor External Drive USB problem
    « on: January 14, 2009, 06:25:42 PM »
    I picked up a OneTouch 4 (Maxtor External) but it will not run on one of my computers, the one I picked it up for. Error message reads that the equipment is not recognized and I am using Windows XP. I checked and updated the USB port and bus drivers. No problems and all is functioning. The external drive works excellently with all other computers I try it on. I phoned Maxtor and they place the blame on the computer and I find the support from them is not very good once you get past the endless sales screens, which is a shame as they offer a nice component. Given the poor support I thought I would throw this out to the forum with a prayer. Thanks in advance, anyone have a clue?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Maxtor External Drive USB problem
    « Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 06:42:48 AM »
    When its on a working machine right click My Computer and select Manage ...then Disk Management.
    Find the Maxtor and right click it and select Properties...
    Post back with ALL the info shown.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

mike453683

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 12:56:30 PM »
      Thanks for the info but... The program to run Maxtor did load, there is no drive showing on list so I can not access it, the error message reads that it is not compatable or may be inoperable, Maxtor told me on the phone to check my USB. The USB was checked, drivers updated, all is well. The equipment works great with all other computers so the drive and cable are fine. In essence, nothing is wrong with anything, and this one computer that I purchased the unit for, will not work with it. I am at a loss. It will not show up anywhere as an icon and when I run the Maxtor program it says that the drive is not connected, the computer still shows an error for no reason that I can see. :'(

mike453683

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 12:59:02 PM »
        Patio, thanks, I sent a second post, I hope to clarify

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 03:04:12 AM »
        Do all other USB devices work with the computer?
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.