Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Case Fan Questions  (Read 2058 times)

Truthisone

Topic Starter

Beginner

Case Fan Questions
    « on: January 18, 2009, 02:40:26 AM »
    What's the deal with the power supply connections that are labled case fan only? THey seem to make my PC unhappy and it crashed a couple of times, so I started using one of the reqular connectors.

Also what's the deal with the motherboard case fan connectors? They are small and 3 pin while all my case fan connectors are big and 4 pin. Are they good to use if I bought adapters?

I have an Antec P182 case and things seemed to be running hot even though I have a Tunic 120mm CPU heatsink and 3 120mm case fans.

How many cases fans are the right amount and where should I put them for the best performance?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Case Fan Questions
    « Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 05:20:55 AM »
    I don't know what you mean by these power supply connections, labelled case fan only - I've never encountered one.
    Fans usually use either a 3 pin motherboard connector, to monitor the speed, or a 4 pin Molex, from the PSU.
    You could possibly get adapters, but the only ones I've seen change a fan with a 3 pin to use a Molex connector.
    You say things are running hot - how how is hot?  Also, what are your other specs?
    How are your fans laid out now, and what fans are they?

Truthisone

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 05:56:37 AM »
      Well the ANtec P!*@ is a weird case with the PSU at the bottom, a fan blowing into the PSU, a blowhole, and an exaust fan. All of which are 120mm. At the momemnt I'm just using the ones that came with the case.

I left the sides of the case off till I'm sure about the temperature. Under load the CPU gets to 60C and the Hard drive gets to 50C, then I stopped doing things because I was worried.
      The rest of my specs are at the bottom.

Truthisone

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 05:57:48 AM »
        correction click on my specs to see what I have

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 06:02:58 AM »
        The only way to really test it is with all fans operating and the case closed...
        I have the same CPU and with a side panel off it goes from 39c at idle to about 44c so the airflow test can only be checked with the case closed.

Remember how everyone said those stock cooing fans suck ? ?
        That's what i'm running. I pulled out a Thermaltake and got better results with the stock fan...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Truthisone

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 06:09:04 AM »
          Well I'll let you know, but it probably won't be today. Thanks