Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ethernet Driver crashes computer during install on XP  (Read 3831 times)

Madtux

Topic Starter

Ethernet Driver crashes computer during install on XP
    « on: February 02, 2009, 10:40:04 PM »
    I just installed XP Pro with SP3 and I was installing the driver for the motherboard (Intel) and the computer crashes during the install of the driver.  I tried installing my older version of windows XP Media edition and the same thing happened.  If I don't install the ethernet driver the machine runs perfectly (but alas no internet).  I even downloaded the most recent version of the driver from Intel website and it crashed with that too.  Any suggestions?  Could this be a hardware issue (my machine was working fine until I decided to upgrade to windows Pro)

Thanks in advance for any help.
    -Madtux

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Ethernet Driver crashes computer during install on XP
    « Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 03:34:22 AM »
    card or onboard?

real XP CD or copy?

mobo make and model please.
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

Madtux

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 08:37:11 PM »
      It's the onboard ethernet

It'sa copy of XP.  I used to use a similar copy and if buying the real full version is the simple option then I will but I have a feeling it might be more hardware related.  Hope not though.

The motherboard is a Media Series Intel - DG965WH with an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor.

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 08:50:25 PM »
        I just installed XP Pro with SP3 and I was installing the driver for the motherboard (Intel) and the computer crashes during the install of the driver.  I tried installing my older version of windows XP Media edition and the same thing happened.  If I don't install the ethernet driver the machine runs perfectly (but alas no internet).  I even downloaded the most recent version of the driver from Intel website and it crashed with that too.  Any suggestions?  Could this be a hardware issue (my machine was working fine until I decided to upgrade to windows Pro)

Thanks in advance for any help.
        -Madtux

I'd go here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2375&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go%21

and make sure I had all the correct drivers for your OS, especially the chipset drivers(#4) and the ethernet drivers(#8), for the board....if that doesn't work I'd uninstall SP3 and see if I had the same issue...

Good Luck