Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: cursor hesitates while typing  (Read 9192 times)

Laurette

cursor hesitates while typing
« on: April 18, 2005, 02:55:13 PM »
 ???HELP!  when I'm typing (in any program on my computer) my cursor hesitates which causes missing characters. This happens approx. every minute or so.  I type 90 wpm and this drives me crazing.  Is something going on in the background?  I'm using Wiindows XP. ???

cigarman

Intermediate
    Re: cursor hesitates while typing
    « Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 03:16:19 PM »
    Have you checked your keyboard settings in controll panel, check your character repeats ;)

Laurette

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 03:23:20 PM »
    Repeat delay was set for 'short' and Repeat rate was set for 'fast'.  Should i set them to 'long' and 'slow'???  Thanks for reading my posting.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 05:22:02 PM »
    Laurette:

A short repeat delay means the computer will not wait long before repeating a character when you press and hold down a key.  That does not appear to be your problem.

You wrote, "when I'm typing...my cursor hesitates which causes missing characters."  What exactly do you mean by "my cursor hesitates"?  Do you mean you press a key and the character does not immediately appear on the monitor?  If this is what you mean, then does this happen with just certain characters, or with every key you press?

Let us know,
    Doc
    « Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 05:24:09 PM by pcdoc4christ »

Laurette

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 08:56:42 PM »
    Hi Doc,
    Thanks for replying.  It happens with every key.  For example, while I am typing now, every key I press shows up on my screen... but during the hesitation the screen won't catch up to the keys i've pressed and will kick in maybe 5 or 6 keystrokes later but won't include the keys I was pressing during the hesitation.  

For example, below i repeated typing the same words over and over again "do you see what i mean".  Look at the last line, the characters 'an do' of the sentance are missing.  They were typed but did not show up ... this is when the computer/cursor was hesitating.

Here's an example:  
    do you see what i mean do you see what i mean do you see what i mean do you see what i mean do you see what i mean do you see what i mean do you see what i mean do yo see what i mean do you see what i mean do you see what i mean do you see what i mean do you see what i mean do you see what i mean do you see what i me you see what i mean

I might add, i've just bought this computer.. a Compaq Presario and it's been happening since I bought it.  

ARGH!

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 04:35:48 AM »
    Laurette:

Three things we may check: Accessibility Options, keyboard drivers, and the keyboard.

To check Accessibility Options, open the Control Panel and double-click the applet with this name; select the Keyboard tab; make sure "Use StickyKeys" and "Use FilterKeys" are not checked; if they are checked, remove the checkmarks and click apply and OK.

Regards,
    Doc

Laurette

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 01:34:57 PM »
    Hi Doc,  Thanks for helping me.
    Well, i went to Accessibility options and nothing is checked off.  

Could it be a program doing something in the background every 3 or 4 minutes?

Argh! :-/

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 01:59:33 PM »
    read more>>near the bottom of the link>>http://goinside.com/03/2/3015.html

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 05:30:12 PM »
    LB:

Two questions:

Has this keyboard ever worked without any problems?

If it worked before, what has changed just prior to the problem?  (Did you spill something on the keyboard?  Did you install a new program or new expansion card?)

Let us know, then we'll take it from there.