Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: slaving passworded hard drive  (Read 3232 times)

samuraibob

slaving passworded hard drive
« on: April 18, 2005, 01:46:56 PM »
hi my name is mike and i'm a dumbass.  i recently moved to ontario from bc and brought my hard drive with me to salve into a buddy's comp.  i can't access my documents and settings now because i had a user password on my comp. i can't use it as a master drive because i didn't bring my xp copy home with me.  anyway to start xp form a slaved drive or acess the admiistrator tools from a different window xp.  please and thanks

pcdoc4christ

Re: slaving passworded hard drive
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 06:09:41 PM »
[size=48]Banzaiii![/size][/b]

Aaaaah, Sorry.  I had a John Belushi flashback for a moment, there.  Something about a Samurai sword splitting a BSOD in half with a satisfying smash and flames.  I'm OK now (i think).   ;)

I'm not sure what you're trying to do, Bob.  You may not be an unintelligent mule, but you are an unintelligible one.   ;D

Do you mean to say you want to add your hard drive to a friend's computer as a slave (with his hard drive as the master) so that he will be able to copy your files to his hard drive?

Let us know,
Doc

« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 06:16:28 PM by pcdoc4christ »

samuraibob

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 10:26:43 AM »
hi:

yes, that is what i am trying to do.  i have hte hard drive slaved in now, but cannot access my documents and settings folder because it was passworded.

thanks

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 11:59:10 AM »
Samurai:

I'm not sure what you mean by the words "pass worded."  When your friend boots to her desktop, does your hard drive show up in My Computer?

If so, describe what happens when you double-click on it.  If you are able to access the drive, then what happens when you navigate to your My Documents folder and try to open it?  If you get an error message, exactly what does the message say?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 11:59:38 AM by pcdoc4christ »

cigarman

Intermediate
    « Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 03:10:49 PM »
    Did you mean you tried to access data in your profile from your hdd?  E.g Documents and Settings\"your profile"?
    If you have choose to go private while the hdd was still in your puter before you moved then you'll have to bootup with your hdd using your own login and password, copy your data out of your profile to a folder in C:\ root then you can try slave it in again. ;D

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 04:27:47 PM »
    Cigarman:

Exactly! any folders that are encrypted will not be accessible from any other computer.  

I'm guessing that this is really what our Canadian friend means when he says the hard drive is password protected.  

:)

« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 05:17:50 PM by pcdoc4christ »