Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: networking  (Read 3840 times)

A K

networking
« on: January 21, 2009, 06:42:02 AM »
not a guru but need help,I have 2 computers,fast access thru cable co, had them connected thru wire but got tired of it strung out.....wireless to much$,so bought motoroal SB5120 modem and hooked up to2nd computer, it is wanting me to set up new account, no can do, want to share existing so is that possible? thought it would recogonize ip address auto,is there a way to do that? host computer is Compaq, Win XP, 2nd computer is also Compaq (older) Win98SE

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: networking
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 08:12:06 PM »
So, you have two modems, right?  And, you were thinking you'd use one modem on each computer, all on one ISP acccount, right?

fgdn17

Hopeful

Re: networking
    « Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 10:01:34 PM »
    not a guru but need help,I have 2 computers,fast access thru cable co, had them connected thru wire but got tired of it strung out.....wireless to much$,so bought motoroal SB5120 modem and hooked up to2nd computer, it is wanting me to set up new account, no can do, want to share existing so is that possible? thought it would recogonize ip address auto,is there a way to do that? host computer is Compaq, Win XP, 2nd computer is also Compaq (older) Win98SE

no...each has a different mac address and for that the ISP needs another account(which you'll pay for)...why not just use a router??? 1 mac address...many machines...!!! how did you have them both connected before???