Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet cut out... Please Help!  (Read 20276 times)

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Internet cut out... Please Help!
« on: April 19, 2005, 06:47:31 PM »
hello everyone! I REALLY need some help... My desktop computer is running Windows XP SP2, and for some reason, every 45 minutes or so, by DSL internet connection just cuts off, and stops working... If I restart the computer, all is well for a while, but it still cuts out! I have scanned for viruses and Spyware, and do not know what is wrong... It just started when I first turned on my computer (this late afternoon)... Can someone please tell me what the heck is going on?!  ???  ALL help is appreciated!  ;D

[glb]Flame[/glb]

gussery

Re: Internet cut out... Please Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 07:26:53 PM »
Flame,

I assume you have contacted your DSL provider and inquired about problems in your area.

Is this DSL connected directly to your computer via ethernet or USB?

It would be interesting to know if your IP address or Gateway address was the same before and after this problem.

Also next time it "cuts out" go to start, settings, network connections.  Right click on the connection and choose disable, then go back an enable it.  Does it come back up without having to reboot?

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 07:51:30 PM »
I am connected to the internet as follows:  Wall jack -> Modem -> Desktop computer ... The modem connects via USB... I have not yet contacted Verizon, becuase they are not open now, and I wanted to see if the system restoration would help at all... Calling them is a last resort... Ever time I call, they tell me to call Gateway, who then blames it on Verzion like babies... lol   Also, this now happens about every 20 minutes... I kind of got carried away with the 45 minute thing... lol  I will keep you all posted...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

gussery

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 07:54:58 PM »
Yep, it is a whole lot easier to blame the other guy then try to fix the problem.  You may also want to try another USB port.

How old is that modem you have there?  Is it yours or their's?   Does it have enough air circulation around it?

Sean

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 09:19:58 PM »
New USB port, and unplug the modem completely, from the computer the wall jack and power and leave it off for about 30 seconds, thats comcast's reply and it usually works for me.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 10:41:27 PM »
    I'm on dialup & my ISP disconnects after 15 minutes of inactivity.  >:(
    I use a small program called 'Connection Keeper' to send a ping every 10 minutes to fool them.  ;)
    Maybe something like that is happening to you?

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 04:59:23 AM »
    FED:

That's a *must* for dial-up connections!  DSL should be always be connected.

Flame:

Gussery's and Sean's advice seem the best to try to fix the problem.  One other thing you may try: Click Start > Run and type IPCONFIG /RELEASE and then IPCONFIG /RENEW .  If this works, it may get old after a short time, but it is better than restarting!

I'd like to know what results you get with Gussery's and Sean's suggestions.  So, before you unplug the USB or restart your computer, type IPCONFIG /ALL and press the ALT and PrintScrn keys to copy the results so you may paste the image into WordPad or Microsoft Word.  After you unplug or restart, type IPCONFIG /ALL again and compare the results.  If the configuration has changed, then let one of us know what the changes are, and maybe we may figure out a better cure.

Regards,
    Doc

« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 05:05:45 AM by pcdoc4christ »

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 12:54:02 PM »
    Gussery:
    It is their modem... (Westell Wirespeed)
    It seems like it is not that old, considering that they still distribute the same model...  For air circulation... It is on top of my desktop computer, which is under my desk... Is that enough? I never thought about air...

Message to all:

Thanks so much for replying guys   ;D  ! I will try all suggestions, and will keep you posted... It will be a few more hours, but I WILL keep everyone informed! Thanks again!  ;D

[glb]Flame[/glb]

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 01:36:04 PM »
    check events log........admin tools.......do a speed test......adslguide.co.uk   check that sp2 is not causing the fault...... or over active firewalls......

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 05:37:35 PM »
    Thanks Merlin! I will try that! I left the modem off over night, and turned it back on, but no help... yet... I still have to run Sean's test, and Doc's... Merlin is on the test list too... lol   I'll keep you all posted! Thanks!  ;D

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 06:45:49 PM »
    I have somewhat good news... The interent does not seem to be cutting out anymore, but it seems REALLY SLOW... I tried your link Merlin, but it doesn't work... It has something about web hosting... Does anyone have a way for me to see how many MBPS I am running? It is not as slow as dial-up, but close to it... lol

[glb]Flame[/glb]

gussery

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 06:49:40 PM »
    Give this a shot and see what it tells you....

http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html

It is just a bandwidth meter but it may give you a clue.

You may also want to do a netstat from the command prompt to make sure there is nothing odd hiding out on your system.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 06:50:45 PM by gussery »

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #12 on: April 20, 2005, 07:08:45 PM »
    Thanks for the reply! However, I went snooping around on my ISP's support documents, and I found out how to ping the connection! Below is a picture of the Command Prompt, and my ping information... PLEASE tell me how things look! Also, my ISP says that the information SHOULD match the following numbers... It doesn't... Please see this link as well as the image... http://www2.verizon.net/help/dsl/?case=4276

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Computer_Commando

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2005, 12:05:32 PM »
    Please specify:  what do you mean "...DSL connection cuts off..."?

1.  Does modem lose "sync" (link light goes out)?
    2.  Or does computer lose connectivity to modem?

Your pings are fine, but they don't tell you that much.  Instead of ping try tracert.  It may not work because many ISPs block ICMP requests.  Use wftrace, get from here:  http://www.r1ch.net/stuff/ftrace/
    « Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 12:09:17 PM by Computer_Commando »

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #14 on: April 21, 2005, 12:45:43 PM »
    The lights on the modem are fine, and stay lit... I use USB, so of course, the USB light is on... It usually flashes, which I understand is normal, but it seems to actually STOP when it looses connectivity with the computer... Also, the computer looses the connectivity... Not the modem... I will try your tests, and poist results... Thanks!

[glb]Flame[/glb]