Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet cut out... Please Help!  (Read 19949 times)

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Internet cut out... Please Help!
« on: April 19, 2005, 06:47:31 PM »
hello everyone! I REALLY need some help... My desktop computer is running Windows XP SP2, and for some reason, every 45 minutes or so, by DSL internet connection just cuts off, and stops working... If I restart the computer, all is well for a while, but it still cuts out! I have scanned for viruses and Spyware, and do not know what is wrong... It just started when I first turned on my computer (this late afternoon)... Can someone please tell me what the heck is going on?!  ???  ALL help is appreciated!  ;D

[glb]Flame[/glb]

gussery

Re: Internet cut out... Please Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 07:26:53 PM »
Flame,

I assume you have contacted your DSL provider and inquired about problems in your area.

Is this DSL connected directly to your computer via ethernet or USB?

It would be interesting to know if your IP address or Gateway address was the same before and after this problem.

Also next time it "cuts out" go to start, settings, network connections.  Right click on the connection and choose disable, then go back an enable it.  Does it come back up without having to reboot?

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 07:51:30 PM »
I am connected to the internet as follows:  Wall jack -> Modem -> Desktop computer ... The modem connects via USB... I have not yet contacted Verizon, becuase they are not open now, and I wanted to see if the system restoration would help at all... Calling them is a last resort... Ever time I call, they tell me to call Gateway, who then blames it on Verzion like babies... lol   Also, this now happens about every 20 minutes... I kind of got carried away with the 45 minute thing... lol  I will keep you all posted...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

gussery

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 07:54:58 PM »
Yep, it is a whole lot easier to blame the other guy then try to fix the problem.  You may also want to try another USB port.

How old is that modem you have there?  Is it yours or their's?   Does it have enough air circulation around it?

Sean

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 09:19:58 PM »
New USB port, and unplug the modem completely, from the computer the wall jack and power and leave it off for about 30 seconds, thats comcast's reply and it usually works for me.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 10:41:27 PM »
    I'm on dialup & my ISP disconnects after 15 minutes of inactivity.  >:(
    I use a small program called 'Connection Keeper' to send a ping every 10 minutes to fool them.  ;)
    Maybe something like that is happening to you?

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 04:59:23 AM »
    FED:

That's a *must* for dial-up connections!  DSL should be always be connected.

Flame:

Gussery's and Sean's advice seem the best to try to fix the problem.  One other thing you may try: Click Start > Run and type IPCONFIG /RELEASE and then IPCONFIG /RENEW .  If this works, it may get old after a short time, but it is better than restarting!

I'd like to know what results you get with Gussery's and Sean's suggestions.  So, before you unplug the USB or restart your computer, type IPCONFIG /ALL and press the ALT and PrintScrn keys to copy the results so you may paste the image into WordPad or Microsoft Word.  After you unplug or restart, type IPCONFIG /ALL again and compare the results.  If the configuration has changed, then let one of us know what the changes are, and maybe we may figure out a better cure.

Regards,
    Doc

« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 05:05:45 AM by pcdoc4christ »

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 12:54:02 PM »
    Gussery:
    It is their modem... (Westell Wirespeed)
    It seems like it is not that old, considering that they still distribute the same model...  For air circulation... It is on top of my desktop computer, which is under my desk... Is that enough? I never thought about air...

Message to all:

Thanks so much for replying guys   ;D  ! I will try all suggestions, and will keep you posted... It will be a few more hours, but I WILL keep everyone informed! Thanks again!  ;D

[glb]Flame[/glb]

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 01:36:04 PM »
    check events log........admin tools.......do a speed test......adslguide.co.uk   check that sp2 is not causing the fault...... or over active firewalls......

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 05:37:35 PM »
    Thanks Merlin! I will try that! I left the modem off over night, and turned it back on, but no help... yet... I still have to run Sean's test, and Doc's... Merlin is on the test list too... lol   I'll keep you all posted! Thanks!  ;D

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 06:45:49 PM »
    I have somewhat good news... The interent does not seem to be cutting out anymore, but it seems REALLY SLOW... I tried your link Merlin, but it doesn't work... It has something about web hosting... Does anyone have a way for me to see how many MBPS I am running? It is not as slow as dial-up, but close to it... lol

[glb]Flame[/glb]

gussery

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 06:49:40 PM »
    Give this a shot and see what it tells you....

http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html

It is just a bandwidth meter but it may give you a clue.

You may also want to do a netstat from the command prompt to make sure there is nothing odd hiding out on your system.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 06:50:45 PM by gussery »

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #12 on: April 20, 2005, 07:08:45 PM »
    Thanks for the reply! However, I went snooping around on my ISP's support documents, and I found out how to ping the connection! Below is a picture of the Command Prompt, and my ping information... PLEASE tell me how things look! Also, my ISP says that the information SHOULD match the following numbers... It doesn't... Please see this link as well as the image... http://www2.verizon.net/help/dsl/?case=4276

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Computer_Commando

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2005, 12:05:32 PM »
    Please specify:  what do you mean "...DSL connection cuts off..."?

1.  Does modem lose "sync" (link light goes out)?
    2.  Or does computer lose connectivity to modem?

Your pings are fine, but they don't tell you that much.  Instead of ping try tracert.  It may not work because many ISPs block ICMP requests.  Use wftrace, get from here:  http://www.r1ch.net/stuff/ftrace/
    « Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 12:09:17 PM by Computer_Commando »

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #14 on: April 21, 2005, 12:45:43 PM »
    The lights on the modem are fine, and stay lit... I use USB, so of course, the USB light is on... It usually flashes, which I understand is normal, but it seems to actually STOP when it looses connectivity with the computer... Also, the computer looses the connectivity... Not the modem... I will try your tests, and poist results... Thanks!

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #15 on: April 21, 2005, 12:47:22 PM »
    Well, after looking, I see a problem... How to I run those two tests of yours? (It sounds bad on my part, but I don't want to expeiment... lol)

-----(EDIT)-----
    Ok, I looked on Microsoft, and found out how to use tracert... I will posts results when I get home... Thanks!

[glb]Flame[/glb]
    « Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 12:49:55 PM by flame »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2005, 01:59:52 PM »
    wftrace
    In Command Line of wftrace type www.website.com (same thing you do for ping or tracert), then click Start

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #17 on: April 21, 2005, 04:49:07 PM »
    Alright... Here's the latest... I turned on the computer when I got home (30 minutes ago), and I had NO connection to the internet... So, I finally tried Sean's idea, but once I reconnected the modem, the Ready light was still flashing... It would not stop once power was restored... I then noticed the my surge protector has the connection for my phone line as well... I inspected it, and for some reson, the wire coming fromthe wall to the surge protector was not snapping in... So, it was loose... I the re-routed the wires to go to my other surge protector, and the modem was fine... I turned on the computer, but had no connection.. I then clicked repair on the connection... It did everythign properly, and now it looks like things are BACK TO NORMAL!!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D   ;D  ;D Well, for now anyway... We will have to wait to make sure that this is official... Thanks for everyone's help!  ;D  Should there be any more issues, or even if the problem has been fixed, I will let you all know. Thanks again!  ;D

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Sean

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2005, 10:55:11 PM »
    Sounds more and more like you should just try different USB slots. If you have 2.0 and 1.1 trying switching to a different one than your on, if your networked and switch to a 1.1 you'll get a "this device could be working at a higher speed, switch to 2.0 message" but either way you only have 1 mbs (dsl speed here) of bandwidth so it shouldnt make a huge difference, unless you send massive files between computers. You also might want to try plugging a different computer into the same modem and cable and just let it sit for about 2 hours or so, and then you'll deffinatley know if it is your computer or not.

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #19 on: April 22, 2005, 08:23:01 AM »
    Yeah, I'll keep that that in mind... So far I have no problems... All is well... I'll keep everyone posted incase the connection gets lost again... Thanks everyone!

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #20 on: April 22, 2005, 05:01:44 PM »
    NEW PROBLEM!!!!!! I can now connect to the Internet safely, and fast, but there is a new porblem... I can not update my Norton AntiVirus definitions!!!!! I get the error saying that I might not be connected the internet, but I am... I am looking a web pages... Why is Norton doing this?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Computer_Commando

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2005, 06:14:53 PM »
    Firewall?

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #22 on: April 22, 2005, 08:13:24 PM »
    I am using the Windows XP SP2 firewall... And yes, it is activated... Any ideas?!

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Computer_Commando

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2005, 07:59:15 AM »
    Expired subscription?  Get rid of Norton, get AVG-free.

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #24 on: April 23, 2005, 08:27:16 AM »
    Oh now wait a minute.... I JUST turned my computer on... (It is 10:25 AM in FL)... I tried norton, and it IS working!  ;D   This HAS to be the strangest software problem that I have ever seen! lol   Although... I did remove some Spyware last night that I found...  I'll let you all know if everything is officially fixed! Thanks for your help!  ;D

[glb]Flame[/glb]

merlin_2

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2005, 01:11:39 PM »
    maybe a faulty modem.......what one is it.....speed touch.....Do you have a wireless link??how many pc are on the system?? do you share files etc.?.....does this happen on certain sites only/days of the week what has you isp said about it?......dsl drop-out http://www.dslreports.com/tools       :)
    « Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 01:17:46 PM by merlin_2 »

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #26 on: April 23, 2005, 01:21:37 PM »
    Thanks for the reply Merlin! I think that the problem has been fixed, but you can never be too sure... This is a Westell Wirespeed Modem using USB... I am not using a wireless connection, and I have not built a network... Only this computer for now... As for certain days... Not sure... It's been *censored* for the past few, but it's getting gradually better... And now it seems as good as it has ever been, now I just have to pray that it will stay that way...  ;) I'll keep everyone posted if anything new should happen!  ;D

[glb]Flame[/glb]

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2005, 01:33:05 PM »
      Flame......Remember the old saying ...........

"If it ain't broke don't fix it"

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
      « Reply #28 on: April 23, 2005, 01:36:09 PM »
      I trust that saying, as it always seems true!  ;)  However, I'm buying a laptop, so it will be networked, so I'll have to change eventually...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

merlin_2

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2005, 01:45:11 PM »
      i have two laptops......and i believe unless someone uses the screen of them as a solar panel. to top up the battery usage......the laptop is  a pointless item. and a heavy item to cart around........batteries are old hat. bc......or maybe a plug-in to the brain would inprove them......for a usb modem to keep cutting in/out......update usb drivers.......how many usb devices have you got......

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
      « Reply #30 on: April 23, 2005, 01:50:29 PM »
      Actually, I should have explained this better... Before I start the network, I will be installing an Ethernet card into my desktop computer, and use the internet/network via Ethernet... The desktop will be wired to the router, but the laptop will be wireless...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
      « Reply #32 on: April 26, 2005, 03:15:12 PM »
      Well.... Guess what... Had a cut out today.. I turned on the computer, and it couldn't connect... I should have given it more time though... (I only gave it 1 minute before restarting, etc.) ... I'm going to call Verizon... I'll post results...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

merlin_2

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2005, 04:12:42 PM »
      the events log should tell you......have you type net in the cmd prompt.......my guess its the dsl modem....did you check.....the cables/main box/ etc.....do you shutdown the pc.......or do you hibenate it?

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
      « Reply #34 on: April 27, 2005, 04:26:13 PM »
      Hi Merlin. The best I ever did in the command prompt was check my ping... Also, the modem only seems to cut out every once in a while (randomly). I also shut down my computer, and never hiberante it... The wires, etc all check out, however, I did make an interesting discovery yesterday... I checked the DSL wire, which plugs into my surge protector... I disconnected teh modem to make sure that there was no dust, etc. inside... When I pulled out the wire, that little clip at the end of the wire (which holds it in place) broke right off... So now I have electrical tape holding it down. lol  I'll be getting another one soon... Maybe that was the problem? Maybe the wire was not held in place? I have no clue...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

merlin_2

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2005, 04:34:09 PM »
      Be brave:) flame........type the command net......in the cmd prompt.......you will learn more;)  for  a net connection to die......i would suspect bandwidth....run a test if you can disconnect all usb devices......that are not in use.....

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
      « Reply #36 on: April 27, 2005, 04:37:51 PM »
      I typed command net  in the command prompt, but nothing... Also, USB dvics are up and running...  ;)

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Computer_Commando

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2005, 05:56:16 PM »
      ... When I pulled out the wire, that little clip at the end of the wire (which holds it in place) broke right off... So now I have electrical tape holding it down. ... Maybe that was the problem? Maybe the wire was not held in place?...

That IS the problem.  The tab locks it in tight to the contacts.  Go to the Dollar Store right now and get a new RJ-11 (telephone) cable.

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
      « Reply #38 on: April 27, 2005, 07:12:12 PM »
      That's just the thing... I need a special cable... I'm just going to call Verizon... I think I have it under control now though... I hope...  ;)  The funny thing is... That cable was undisturbed for about a year... I started having problems (vut-outs), which I why I removed it... So how did the cable break int he first place, I wish I knew. lol   I'll call Verizon then... Thanks everyone for all your suggestions, as all replies are greatly appreciated!  ;D

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Computer_Commando

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2005, 08:15:36 AM »
      ... I need a special cable...

You're joking?  I've got a DSL modem with all the cables, that someone gave to me.  The cable from the modem to the phone wall jack looks like a standard phone cable to me (other than the tags attached to it that tell you where to plug it in).

gussery

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2005, 08:47:49 AM »
      I have never seen a special cable for a DSL Modem, it is just a plain old ordinary phone cable.  What are those Verizon people up to now (assuming they still employ actual people of course)?
      « Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 12:50:15 PM by gussery »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2005, 11:25:52 AM »
        Flame...... "That's just the thing... I need a special cable... "  Could you describe this cable for us ?  How many conductors does it have ? What do the end connectors look like? .....doesn,t it plug into the phone jack in the wall , like a normal telephone ...... or is this cable by any chance a filter ?  ( which shouldn,t be there anyway )

let us know

dl65  ::)
        « Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 11:26:39 AM by dl65 »

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
        « Reply #42 on: April 28, 2005, 12:51:36 PM »
        It can plug into the wall, and very could be a telephone line, but unlike telephone lines, my line is round, and not flat... Also, I will have to check the conductors to see... Hence the reason that I want to just get a free one from Verizon.  ;)

[glb]Flame[/glb]

gussery

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2005, 12:54:36 PM »
        Well now.   ;D Free is always good  ;D

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
        « Reply #44 on: April 28, 2005, 01:06:03 PM »
        Well, if I can save a buck, then that's always good! Although, I wouldn't mind paying either... It wouldn't be THAT expensive....

[glb]Flame[/glb]

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2005, 01:42:20 PM »
          Flame..... ROTFLMAO.........If its got a conventional telephone plug on each end ........what differance does it make if the cable is flat , round , triangular or square its a telephone cable ........borrow one from another phone and try it .......LOL

cl65  ::)

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
          « Reply #46 on: April 28, 2005, 03:20:02 PM »
          Wait now... Found the real issue this time. lol   I was mistaken... It was not the DSL cable that broke, but the actual phone line going from the wall to the surge protector! I feel dumb... lol  :-[  I switched out the cables, and all seems well... Thanks again!

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
          « Reply #47 on: May 03, 2005, 12:45:56 PM »
          Well.... Guess what? It's doing it again... This time, it cuts out, but if I repair the connection, all is well for another 15-20 minutes... I think the modem might be going...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Fed

• Sage
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #48 on: May 03, 2005, 02:56:23 PM »
            Flame, remember that I've only ever had dialup so I don't have a good knowledge of dsl but...

Have you had the lines tested by the phone company?

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
            « Reply #49 on: May 03, 2005, 03:20:16 PM »
            No... All the better reason for me to call though...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

merlin_2

« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2005, 03:27:02 PM »
            modem...............have you updated the drivers for it.......

or pull the string tighter:)

check with your isp.......has not restricted ......bandwith.....after all verzion have just bought mci.......
            use te netgear router.....and throw the modem in the bin...pronto.
            « Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 03:32:02 PM by merlin_2 »

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
            « Reply #51 on: May 04, 2005, 04:51:55 PM »
            Drivers for the modem? I'll have to check.... I got them from Verizon... I'll check on that... Also, it's strange... Last night, and now today, the computer did not have a connection when I turned on, but after I repair the connection, it doesn't cut-out... I best call....

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
            « Reply #52 on: May 06, 2005, 12:47:59 PM »
            Well.... I can't say that I didn't expect this... But... Verizon seems to think that it is somethhing with the computer, and not their service.... It's the blame game... I'm going to ask another tech before taking action, but incase I need to reformat.... I have the FULL version of Windows XP home on the CD. I used it once on that computer already (when I went over ME), can I use it again to do a clean format/installation?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

merlin_2

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2005, 01:16:04 PM »
            « Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 01:19:53 PM by merlin_2 »

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
            « Reply #54 on: May 07, 2005, 01:21:02 PM »
            UPDATE: I have found out the following... When I turn on my computer, there is no connection... However, if the modem is turned off for 15 second, and both the computer and modem have the power restored... Everything is fine... It sounds like my modem can't handle being powered on 24/7 like is has been for about a year... Maybe its defective... I'm calling verizon with theis news now... Will post results soon...  * Thanks for the links Merlin! I'll look into these!  ;)

[glb]Flame[/glb]
            « Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 01:21:13 PM by flame »

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
            « Reply #55 on: May 07, 2005, 03:19:12 PM »
            Well... After talking to Verizon, they seem to agree that it is the modem with the trouble... However... The warranty was only for 1 year... It's gone... They want me to pay $79 to get a new one... I got a $1,800 laptop comin... No way in *censored* I can spend that much... Oh well... Thanks anyway guys.... I hereby pronounce this case [glb]CLOSED[/glb] ... I thank all of ComputerHope for thier help, time and effort... Thanks again!

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
            « Reply #56 on: June 13, 2005, 07:57:41 PM »
            Just wanted to let everyone know that I no longer have these problems... It appears that my modem has been overheating... Whenteh connection goes out, the modem is hot I noticed.. I stick a plasic CD case under the modem, and haven't had any trouble since. Thanks again!

[glb]Flame[/glb]