Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet cut out... Please Help!  (Read 19956 times)

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Internet cut out... Please Help!
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2005, 12:47:22 PM »
Well, after looking, I see a problem... How to I run those two tests of yours? (It sounds bad on my part, but I don't want to expeiment... lol)

-----(EDIT)-----
Ok, I looked on Microsoft, and found out how to use tracert... I will posts results when I get home... Thanks!

[glb]Flame[/glb]
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 12:49:55 PM by flame »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2005, 01:59:52 PM »
wftrace
In Command Line of wftrace type www.website.com (same thing you do for ping or tracert), then click Start

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2005, 04:49:07 PM »
Alright... Here's the latest... I turned on the computer when I got home (30 minutes ago), and I had NO connection to the internet... So, I finally tried Sean's idea, but once I reconnected the modem, the Ready light was still flashing... It would not stop once power was restored... I then noticed the my surge protector has the connection for my phone line as well... I inspected it, and for some reson, the wire coming fromthe wall to the surge protector was not snapping in... So, it was loose... I the re-routed the wires to go to my other surge protector, and the modem was fine... I turned on the computer, but had no connection.. I then clicked repair on the connection... It did everythign properly, and now it looks like things are BACK TO NORMAL!!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D   ;D  ;D Well, for now anyway... We will have to wait to make sure that this is official... Thanks for everyone's help!  ;D  Should there be any more issues, or even if the problem has been fixed, I will let you all know. Thanks again!  ;D

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Sean

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2005, 10:55:11 PM »
Sounds more and more like you should just try different USB slots. If you have 2.0 and 1.1 trying switching to a different one than your on, if your networked and switch to a 1.1 you'll get a "this device could be working at a higher speed, switch to 2.0 message" but either way you only have 1 mbs (dsl speed here) of bandwidth so it shouldnt make a huge difference, unless you send massive files between computers. You also might want to try plugging a different computer into the same modem and cable and just let it sit for about 2 hours or so, and then you'll deffinatley know if it is your computer or not.

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2005, 08:23:01 AM »
Yeah, I'll keep that that in mind... So far I have no problems... All is well... I'll keep everyone posted incase the connection gets lost again... Thanks everyone!

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2005, 05:01:44 PM »
NEW PROBLEM!!!!!! I can now connect to the Internet safely, and fast, but there is a new porblem... I can not update my Norton AntiVirus definitions!!!!! I get the error saying that I might not be connected the internet, but I am... I am looking a web pages... Why is Norton doing this?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Computer_Commando

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2005, 06:14:53 PM »
Firewall?

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2005, 08:13:24 PM »
I am using the Windows XP SP2 firewall... And yes, it is activated... Any ideas?!

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Computer_Commando

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2005, 07:59:15 AM »
Expired subscription?  Get rid of Norton, get AVG-free.

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2005, 08:27:16 AM »
Oh now wait a minute.... I JUST turned my computer on... (It is 10:25 AM in FL)... I tried norton, and it IS working!  ;D   This HAS to be the strangest software problem that I have ever seen! lol   Although... I did remove some Spyware last night that I found...  I'll let you all know if everything is officially fixed! Thanks for your help!  ;D

[glb]Flame[/glb]

merlin_2

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2005, 01:11:39 PM »
maybe a faulty modem.......what one is it.....speed touch.....Do you have a wireless link??how many pc are on the system?? do you share files etc.?.....does this happen on certain sites only/days of the week what has you isp said about it?......dsl drop-out http://www.dslreports.com/tools       :)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 01:17:46 PM by merlin_2 »

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2005, 01:21:37 PM »
Thanks for the reply Merlin! I think that the problem has been fixed, but you can never be too sure... This is a Westell Wirespeed Modem using USB... I am not using a wireless connection, and I have not built a network... Only this computer for now... As for certain days... Not sure... It's been *censored* for the past few, but it's getting gradually better... And now it seems as good as it has ever been, now I just have to pray that it will stay that way...  ;) I'll keep everyone posted if anything new should happen!  ;D

[glb]Flame[/glb]

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2005, 01:33:05 PM »
    Flame......Remember the old saying ...........

"If it ain't broke don't fix it"

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #28 on: April 23, 2005, 01:36:09 PM »
    I trust that saying, as it always seems true!  ;)  However, I'm buying a laptop, so it will be networked, so I'll have to change eventually...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

merlin_2

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2005, 01:45:11 PM »
    i have two laptops......and i believe unless someone uses the screen of them as a solar panel. to top up the battery usage......the laptop is  a pointless item. and a heavy item to cart around........batteries are old hat. bc......or maybe a plug-in to the brain would inprove them......for a usb modem to keep cutting in/out......update usb drivers.......how many usb devices have you got......