Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet cut out... Please Help!  (Read 20260 times)

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Internet cut out... Please Help!
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2005, 01:50:29 PM »
Actually, I should have explained this better... Before I start the network, I will be installing an Ethernet card into my desktop computer, and use the internet/network via Ethernet... The desktop will be wired to the router, but the laptop will be wireless...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2005, 03:15:12 PM »
Well.... Guess what... Had a cut out today.. I turned on the computer, and it couldn't connect... I should have given it more time though... (I only gave it 1 minute before restarting, etc.) ... I'm going to call Verizon... I'll post results...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

merlin_2

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2005, 04:12:42 PM »
the events log should tell you......have you type net in the cmd prompt.......my guess its the dsl modem....did you check.....the cables/main box/ etc.....do you shutdown the pc.......or do you hibenate it?

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2005, 04:26:13 PM »
Hi Merlin. The best I ever did in the command prompt was check my ping... Also, the modem only seems to cut out every once in a while (randomly). I also shut down my computer, and never hiberante it... The wires, etc all check out, however, I did make an interesting discovery yesterday... I checked the DSL wire, which plugs into my surge protector... I disconnected teh modem to make sure that there was no dust, etc. inside... When I pulled out the wire, that little clip at the end of the wire (which holds it in place) broke right off... So now I have electrical tape holding it down. lol  I'll be getting another one soon... Maybe that was the problem? Maybe the wire was not held in place? I have no clue...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

merlin_2

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2005, 04:34:09 PM »
Be brave:) flame........type the command net......in the cmd prompt.......you will learn more;)  for  a net connection to die......i would suspect bandwidth....run a test if you can disconnect all usb devices......that are not in use.....

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2005, 04:37:51 PM »
I typed command net  in the command prompt, but nothing... Also, USB dvics are up and running...  ;)

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Computer_Commando

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2005, 05:56:16 PM »
... When I pulled out the wire, that little clip at the end of the wire (which holds it in place) broke right off... So now I have electrical tape holding it down. ... Maybe that was the problem? Maybe the wire was not held in place?...

That IS the problem.  The tab locks it in tight to the contacts.  Go to the Dollar Store right now and get a new RJ-11 (telephone) cable.

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2005, 07:12:12 PM »
That's just the thing... I need a special cable... I'm just going to call Verizon... I think I have it under control now though... I hope...  ;)  The funny thing is... That cable was undisturbed for about a year... I started having problems (vut-outs), which I why I removed it... So how did the cable break int he first place, I wish I knew. lol   I'll call Verizon then... Thanks everyone for all your suggestions, as all replies are greatly appreciated!  ;D

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Computer_Commando

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2005, 08:15:36 AM »
... I need a special cable...

You're joking?  I've got a DSL modem with all the cables, that someone gave to me.  The cable from the modem to the phone wall jack looks like a standard phone cable to me (other than the tags attached to it that tell you where to plug it in).

gussery

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2005, 08:47:49 AM »
I have never seen a special cable for a DSL Modem, it is just a plain old ordinary phone cable.  What are those Verizon people up to now (assuming they still employ actual people of course)?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 12:50:15 PM by gussery »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2005, 11:25:52 AM »
    Flame...... "That's just the thing... I need a special cable... "  Could you describe this cable for us ?  How many conductors does it have ? What do the end connectors look like? .....doesn,t it plug into the phone jack in the wall , like a normal telephone ...... or is this cable by any chance a filter ?  ( which shouldn,t be there anyway )

let us know

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 11:26:39 AM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #42 on: April 28, 2005, 12:51:36 PM »
    It can plug into the wall, and very could be a telephone line, but unlike telephone lines, my line is round, and not flat... Also, I will have to check the conductors to see... Hence the reason that I want to just get a free one from Verizon.  ;)

[glb]Flame[/glb]

gussery

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2005, 12:54:36 PM »
    Well now.   ;D Free is always good  ;D

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #44 on: April 28, 2005, 01:06:03 PM »
    Well, if I can save a buck, then that's always good! Although, I wouldn't mind paying either... It wouldn't be THAT expensive....

[glb]Flame[/glb]