Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HDD compatibility /  (Read 2330 times)

dipesh

Topic Starter

Rookie

HDD compatibility /
    « on: January 20, 2009, 12:07:51 PM »
    how to check what is the max size of external HDD a computer can take ...whats the criteria ..is it only on the power supply

SmittySr

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: HDD compatibility /
      « Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 12:22:58 PM »
      Unless you have an older machine you should be able to use just about anything you want. The only variable may be the transfer speeds.  You should list what type of external hard drive you are interested in and what the specs on your computer are. 

dipesh

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 02:48:34 PM »
        well its just a curious question ...i wanted to know if  i have for Ex    say an celeron processor ...if i connet an EXt HDD in tera bytes would it work ?

Thanks .

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 05:47:51 PM »
        Sure.
        Why you would need a terrabyte external drive on a Celeron though is a different topic altogether.

HDD's are not limited by a CPU or it's processing power...only by the OS it is running.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

justin caise

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 01:07:25 PM »
          Will these HDD's only sync data between 2 or more computers using the same operating system?

I have threee machines - all running different versions of Win. (starting to feel like a victim.)

Thnx
          "The worst thing you can die with is potential." Henry Cloud

Bromide

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
            « Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 06:41:44 PM »
            Three different Windows operating systems will be able to exchange files OK, although you must be sure the external drive is formatted with a file system all the computers understand. Win 98SE needs a drive formatted in FAT. Win2000 and later can use FAT or NTFS. I don’t know about Win ME.

If you really intend to synchronize files between computers two good programs are Syncback and Allway Sync. For doing backups there are many free programs to choose from. To simply move files between the computer and the external drive just use Windows Explorer.