Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Upgrading a Pentium 4 PC worth it? and PCIe / PCI video card compatibility  (Read 2570 times)

six

Topic Starter

Starter

Hi,

I was wondering how I can tell if adding 1GB PC800 RD RAM ($40) up from the existing 128 MB's on an old Pentium 4 1.3 GHz, 400 MHz Bus, 256 KB Cache RAM processor will make any real difference in terms of speed?

I could also upgrade to a 1.7 GHz, 400, 256 Processor for $6 and some fun, would that make any difference?

I am not sure what the specs tell me in terms of relative speed as compared to my newer dual core AMD 2 GHz processor with 2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM.  I mean I know it is faster but what spec(s) are important in comparing one type of CPU to another across older and newer technology so I can understand where I am with the old one, where I can take it, and then how that compares to what I have that is newer?

The other thing I was wondering (with regard to my newer PC) is what I need to check to ensure compatibility of adding another video card (PCI) (for yet more monitors - well another monitor and a TV) to my existing setup with a multi monitor capable PCI express card (running 2 monitors on now)?  I am not talking about what inputs / outputs I need but what I need to do to ensure compatibility with PCIe and PCI so they can be used together...

Phew, thanks for any insight!

Matt

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Is Windows XP the OS on that computer?  If so, going from 128MB to 1GB will make a huge difference.

And, I you can get the 1.7 GHz processor for only $6, I'd go for it.  However, replacing only the processor and not increasing memory will not yield much of a boost.

You're currently running two monitors off your PCI express card, right?  And, you want to add a third monitor and a TV?  Yes, a PCI video card should work.  I think getting a PCI card with a graphics chip from the same manufacturer (ATI, or nVidia) as your PCI express card reduces the chances of any driver conflict, but I'm also sure there are many mixed (ATI, nVidia) configurations that are working fine.

six

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: Upgrading a Pentium 4 PC worth it? and PCIe / PCI video card compatibility
      « Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 10:03:03 PM »
      Hi, yes XP OS.  Wow going from 128 mb to 1 Gb is incredible!!! thanks!

Yes, and the PCI card works too!

Again, thank you VERY much!!!

Matt

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Upgrading a Pentium 4 PC worth it? and PCIe / PCI video card compatibility
      « Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 10:26:49 PM »
      Thanks for the feedback.  Glad to hear the outcome of your upgrades.   :)