Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Overclocking  (Read 2970 times)

Redeyes_Gambit

Overclocking
« on: April 21, 2005, 07:34:10 PM »
}{'lo!

I have an old mobo (IN440EX made by GVC or BCM, slot 1 proc at 300mghz not overclocked) and I noticed it had some pins on it with a little diagram that showed settings for 266mghz, 300mghz, 333mghz etc. I was woundering if i changed the jumpers to 333 for my 300mghz proc would that "overclock" it? and if so, do you advise it?

Many thanks to those who read and respond!

Redeyes_Gambit

Sean

Re: Overclocking
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 11:13:03 PM »
Fair warning of overclocking will for the most part null any warranty that you have on the computer. That is overclocking, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend that, because when you overclock your system isnt always as stable as before.

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 09:18:38 AM »
Well, I have no warrenty to worry about, and even if i did I probly would have voided it. :) as for instability, how much are we talking here? one more crash a day? or something more drastic? and will there be perminant damage if I do overclock? so that if i were to overclock, didn't like it and went back would there still be instability?

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 10:46:02 AM »
It won't work.  PII-233, 266, 300, 333 all have bus speed of 66MHz.  Multiplier is locked by the CPU at 3.5, 4.0, 4.5, 5.0.  I am not clear what the jumpers are for.  Change them at your own risk.

Newer motherboards achieve overclocking by changing the bus speed.  This can cause other problems because memory is tied to the bus speed, as in PC100 for 100MHz bus.  PC66 for 66 MHz bus.