Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hard drive problems  (Read 2197 times)

crmn

Topic Starter

Rookie

hard drive problems
    « on: February 04, 2009, 06:15:49 PM »
    Hi I need help. I have an old computer and the hard drive damage. I bought a new one and a new operating system.  I took the old hard drive off and installed the new one. Then I inserted the CD that came with the hard drive. But nothing is happening. What should I do? Hard drive western digital and operating system windows xp. I tried installing it with the old hard drive, but every time I turns on the computer it turns off by itself and if I install it and turn on the computer its stays on. Thanks  ???

foggs

Beginner

Re: hard drive problems
      « Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 06:57:04 PM »
      Hi I need help. I have an old computer and the hard drive damage. I bought a new one and a new operating system.  I took the old hard drive off and installed the new one. Then I inserted the CD that came with the hard drive. But nothing is happening. What should I do? Hard drive western digital and operating system windows xp. I tried installing it with the old hard drive, but every time I turns on the computer it turns off by itself and if I install it and turn on the computer its stays on. Thanks  ???

can't say i totally understand what u said there as the problem, dude, but sounds to me like your boot priority in cmos does not have cd listed. u need to go into setup (press delete key) just as the pc starts to go to setup, have cmos "autodetect" the newly installed HD, make the boot priority of the HD configuration HD 1st, CD 2nd, save and exit.

it will check the hd on restart, find nothing, check the cd, boot to your install disk
      (which needs to be in the tray before you restarted), and do the deed
      Foggs

crmn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 08:04:20 PM »
        i did as you said, but everytime i pressed yes to the  boot comfiguration it go back to no.
        and i also get this messege when i try to boot with the CD

ATAlevel comuncation:
        Attempting PM ATA identify= no response
        Attempting PS ATA identify= no response
        AttemptingSM ATA identify= _

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 07:10:56 AM »
        What kind of machine is this ?
        What type was the old drive ....IDE or SATA ?
        What is the new drive...IDE or SATA ?
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

crmn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 05:04:43 PM »
           this is a compaq computer.  the old hdd interface is EIDE (UDMA)  the new is (SATA)
          « Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 05:33:23 AM by crmn »

foggs

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 10:34:46 PM »
            bios wont let you make changes?  is this correct? 

you are unable to change boot priority so that you can boot to a bootable OS install CD?

Or does it let you make the changes, but on next re-start, if you go into bios, the changes you just made, are not there anymore.... is this it? 

which one?

There are many factors here, there is no cut dry "here is your answer"
            Foggs

crmn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 04:58:25 AM »
              Or does it let you make the changes, but on next re-start, if you go into bios, the changes you just made, are not there anymore.... is this it? 
               yes this is correct. i made the changes, but on re-start the changes are not there anymore.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 08:26:23 AM »
              Replace the CMOS battery...

Part # CR2032.
              As always when working inside the case remove all power sources and take anti-static precautions...
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

crmn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 07:47:46 PM »