Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP hard drive mounted into Vista machine  (Read 2863 times)

WDH

Topic Starter

XP hard drive mounted into Vista machine
    « on: February 06, 2009, 09:58:06 AM »
    I recently had a problem with our HP XP machine, and could not get it to come up.  In my "infinite wisdom" I purchased a New Vista machine.  I then removed the XP hard drive and installed it into the Vista machine.  It appeared to read all files, but we didn't get all data or photo files that we knew were there.  Am I missing something or is there a loss of data?  All searches for jpg files only return older files, nothing recent.  Can anybody help with this?  Thanks...

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: XP hard drive mounted into Vista machine
    « Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 10:49:39 AM »
    It will not boot on another machine because it is looking for the old hardware...
    But you were almost there:
    Hook it up as a slave drive.
    Slave Drive Tutorial.

Best of Luck.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

gold

Beginner

• the world has ears...
      • help computer
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 10:55:42 AM »
    Hello WDH.

Are you now running Windows XP or Windows Vista?

If you are running Windows XP, when you installed the Windows XP hard drive into your Vista machine, did you have to reinstall or repair Windows XP?

Were the files you lost stored in the 'My Documents' folder of a Windows XP user?

computer problem?
    mr. hope will help

if you are experiencing an error message, google that message.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 11:08:15 AM »
    In my "infinite wisdom" I purchased a New Vista machine.  I then removed the XP hard drive and installed it into the Vista machine.

gold

Beginner

• the world has ears...
      • help computer
    « Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 12:13:32 PM »
    In my "infinite wisdom" I purchased a New Vista machine.  I then removed the XP hard drive and installed it into the Vista machine.

Yes, but is the user running Windows XP or Vista, I don't see how that question has been answered.
    computer problem?
    mr. hope will help

shashgo

Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 12:17:07 PM »
      a computer may be a dell compaq hp gateway vaio .....  But if the poster says he purchased a Vista machine, then he is saying there is Win Vista on the machine.

gold

Beginner

• the world has ears...
        • help computer
      « Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 01:37:36 PM »
      a computer may be a dell compaq hp gateway vaio .....  But if the poster says he purchased a Vista machine, then he is saying there is Win Vista on the machine.

I understand the situation, I just don't like to assume.

computer problem?
      mr. hope will help

WDH

Topic Starter

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 10:40:14 AM »
        Sorry I'm late in getting back to all of you.  Here are the paticulars:  I had an HP Pavilion a814x with XP Home installed.  When I tried to upgrade the memory I suddenly could no longer power the HP back up.  The power indicator blinked green vice a steady green.  I reconfigered back to original mem config, but still had same problem.  I pulled the power supply out and it would show a steady green lite with power supply.  I thought that it could be on/off switch or possibly I damaged the motherboard installing the SIMMs.  I had the Vista machine recently purchased, so I removed the hard drive from the HP machine and mounted it in the Vista machine.  I can access the HP drive and see most of what was out there, but have been unable to access most recent photos and some files that were bookmarked and stored.  That is where I'm at, being able to access some data and files, but not all.  I think that this a slaved drive already.  The Vista OS is the boot drive.  I just can't get through my brain what I'm missing about the inter relation between the two OSs, why some data is readily available but other data is not. 

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 11:17:26 AM »
        I think that this a slaved drive already.

This needs to be confirmed...are you saying the machine boots to Vista ? ?
        If so it's hooked up properly...
        When you say some files can't be accessed is there an error message involved ? ?Or folders that won't let you in ? ?
        How many user profiles were on the XP machine ?
        If you go to Documents and Settings folder on the XP drive have you checked ALL users ? ?

If you are being denied access then Clik Here...][url=http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421]Clik Here...[/url]