Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer wont boot up correctly  (Read 1938 times)

stg574

computer wont boot up correctly
« on: February 12, 2009, 05:14:39 PM »
My computer was acting a little fishy...so i decided it might be best to just reinstall windows...So i restarted and tried to boot from my disk..the cd drive would start to spin the disk...Next It would say boot from disk, pause for a few seconds and then say 1. HD system type-(00)..then it would just stop with a blinking cursor at the bottom...After trying this a few times i decided to try to load it through safe mode and install windows overtop of the old version in a partition then clear the old stuff out later...i got through the initial stages until the restart then the same problem occured. I thought maybe there was a problem in BIOS...something life it wasnt reading my hard drive or cd drive on bootup...i fooled around a little to no avail...next i tried resetting bios settings to both fail safe and optimal settings, again this did nothing to help...im a little lost as to what the next step is or for that matter what the problem is...thanks for any suggestions...btw i know the copy of windows works, as i have used it before and it is a genuine copy...but for that matter i have tried another copy and the same problem happens

midsail

Hopeful
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: computer wont boot up correctly
    « Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 06:22:31 AM »
    Try setting resetting the BIOS to defaults. If it passes POST u know the BIOS setting r correct. If Windows can not be started in safe mode. Try using the Recovery Console. I always try using check disk. It is not the most reliable utility to check the HDD, but 8 of 10 time it will lead to the conclusion of bad HDD.